Momentum Cache Bug Report (DPC Latency)

Bit Baby

Momentum Cache Bug Report (DPC Latency)

I'm using Windows 10 x64 (1511) and enabled Momentum Cache (Version 1.7.3.0) on my system SSD (CT512MX100) for testing. Afterwards I got a few memory_managment bluescreens (~ every 2 days) but also constant audio dropouts on audio playback. These can be confirmed by DPC Latency Checker (http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml). Activated Momentum Cache causes permanent latency peaks in the area of 16000 µs. It looks like the driver doesn't communicate correctly with the system. Once I deactivated Momentum Cache again all problems disappeared.

14 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Momentum Cache Bug Report (DPC Latency)

Windows 10 x64 (1511), Momentum Cache (Version 1.7.3.0), Storage Executive 3.20.042015.06.

I can see pretty the same low DPC latency with and without Momentum Cache. 16000 µs spikes do not happen.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby

I can confirm the problem, is indeed Momentum Cache bug, there huge spikes in cpu latency when Momentum Cache is on, making hearing music full of cracks and other problems, I have disabled it and now is working correctly, also confirmed with software like LatencyMonitor. I am going to try PrimoCache as an alternative, but I would like this problem solvef from Crucial in an update!

Bit Baby

Same problem here. I will sell my BX100 500GB, make a raid 0 with my AMD Promise Sata RAID Controller and then activate the DRAM cache from promise controller, which works great without latency issues

JEDEC Jedi

octaivermatt wrote:

Same problem here. I will sell my BX100 500GB

That seems rather excessive.  You could just not use Momentum.  It's a bit of a gimmick if you ask me anyway. Smiley Happy

Bit Baby

DRAM cache is very important for me.

Just to you understand, actually, without momentum cache, its faster for me running raid 0 with hds (because it allow me to use the dram cache from raid controller) than running single bx100

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

I guess to an extent it depends upon what use you are putting the drives to.  You probably have a pretty niche requirement for that to be the case.  Pretty sequential heavy work?  Or very frequent access of a very small pool of data that'll fir in the cache? There's no way any number of HDD's could compete for random access work across the drive (though artificial benchmarks fooled by the caching might hint otherwise).

hello.. Is this ever going to be fixed? Momentum cache was one of the reasons I bought my MX200 drive but I cannot use it because of the poor programming on crucials part..

Bit Baby

[ Edited ]

Hello, I just ran into same audio problems with my CT275MX300. High Dpc latency spikes when momentum cache is enabled. Latency monitor showed it as problem with wdf01000.sys. Finding this gave me quite a headache, until i realized what i changed in pc most recently. Shame it isnt solved after so long....

(Momentum cache v1.7.3.0)

(Storage Executive 3.38)

Megabyte Maverick

dpc issues occuring in that driver are usually caused by usb devices or their drivers.

check for updates on all frequently active devices.