Motherboard failures and MX500 drives

Kilobyte Kid

Motherboard failures and MX500 drives

I have 2 new HP desktop computers that have failed within 90 days. The only thing changed on them was changing the boot drives from the 128GB SSD drives that came with them to  1TB MX500 drives. Is there anyway the MX500 drives could have caused the motherboard failures?

7 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Motherboard failures and MX500 drives

I don't see how.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

What exactly were the symptoms and how did you arrive at the motherboard having failed?   Did you keep and use the SSDs after replacing the motherboards?

It is highly improbable the SSDs would cause a motherboard failure much less two of them.    It is more likely the motherboard was damaged by static electricity or a perhaps a local power issue.   I've personally seen a motherboard issue caused by a static discharge.

Have you checked online to see if perhaps these motherboards have a higher chance of failure?

Kilobyte Kid

I thought it was far fetched that a SSD could cause a motherboard failure, but thought I would ask anyway. In both cases the PC was powered on and just shut down on its own. Will not power back on and troubleshooting leads to a motherboard failure. The first one to fail has been repaired and it was in fact the motherboard. 2nd one failied last night with all the same symptoms. Compurers are in the same location as the ones they replaced and they have been running flawsley for 7 years. No other electronics plugged into the same power strips have had a failure.

JEDEC Jedi

If the same SSD was installed in both computers then I would be careful with that particular SSD.   While there is a very slim possibility the SSD was defective and damaged both computers, another scenario is your first computer damaged the SSD and when the now damaged SSD was installed into the second computer it ended up damaging that computer as well.   Unfortunately we are unable to tell.

If you installed a different SSD into each computer and encountered these seemingly identical failures, then my previous post applies.  Another slim possibility is the power supply connector ended up contacting a pin on the motherboard causing damage when you moved the case around after the installation.   To happen twice is also odd.

You definitely have a mystery on your hands.   I always hate troubleshooting these situations since you can easily end up repeating the events again. 

Were these failures instant or did they take some time to fail?

Good luck.

Kilobyte Kid

@flhxiJoe, were you wearing an anti-static wriststrap?

Kilobyte Kid

The failures were in two separate computers using two separate Crucial SSD's that were installed 3 days after we got the computers. In both cases the computers were powered on and had been running for weeks with the new drives without issues.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

ESD damage can take some time. Note: it COULD be ESD. Make sure there's nothing else that may be the cause.