Moving Data from SSD MX300 via USB

Bit Baby

Moving Data from SSD MX300 via USB

Hey there, so I had been using my SSD (525 GB, 2.5, MX300) as my Macbook's drive, but my Macbook recently bit the dust. So I've removed the SSD and using the adapter I bought, I've hooked it up to my new PC and also tried hooking it up to another Macbook. Both times, I can see the device under Disk Utility/Devices, but I can't actually access the content. 

I was hoping to use the SSD like an external drive to move my files onto another computer or upload to iCloud. 

From what I've read online, this is definitely possible, but I'm not sure if I'm missing a step here or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tags (2)
1 Reply
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Moving Data from SSD MX300 via USB

An Apple drive formatted with HFS+ will not mount with a Windows PC without special HFS+ filesystem drivers.

If your SSD was FileVaulted, you will need to go into Disk Utility to unlock it.  In Disk Utility, click on the SSD in the left pane, then click the Unlock button at the top.    If it doesn't automatically mount the SSD after unlocking, then select the volume in the left pane of Disk Utility and click the Mount button at the top of Disk Utility.