Mx500 windows 10 hangs after file install

Kilobyte Kid

Mx500 windows 10 hangs after file install

I have a older computer with a Asus ii formula motherboard with the Nvidia 780a chipset. Yes I know that Nvidia no longer makes drivers for their chipsets but windows 10 caintains the drivers to run it just fine. Now before I had this mx500, I had a mx300 that I did a fresh install of windows 10 64bit on and the system ran flawlessly. So I decided I wanted a larger ssd and the newest model so I returned my mx300 and purchased the mx500. Both drives were set up exactly the same, ahci mode in the bios, but afeter installing Windows 10 on the mx500 from the disc and rebooting the windows 10 logo comes up and the HDD light goes solid and sits there. If I leave the system long enough it will blue screen and repeat the loop. I have now tried reinstalling windows 10 three times with the same result! I cantacted crucial and tech support told me it was a faulty drive. I've been in the computer business 25 years and when technology is this new, there is always growing pains! Personally I think it's a firmware issue and crucial says they don't have any other firmware than what's on the drive, not even a beta (I find that hard to believe!). Now my question is would you exchange the mx500 for another drive and take a chance, or would you return it and purchase something else. My feeling is another drive is just going to do the same thing! Any thoughts? 

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Mx500 windows 10 hangs after file install

The MX500 is brand new.  Like this is the second post I've seen about one. So it's not too surprising there is no firmware update for it. Smiley Happy

The main thing that concerns me about your situation (I'm not sure about your precise chipset) is some (all? not sure) of those old Nvidia chipsets have flawed sata speed negotiation.  They were sata 2 boards but when faced with a sata 3 drive they don't know what to do about it and don't negotiate sata 2 (like they should) but instead drop down to 1.  I've never heard of this causing an actual compatibility issue - just disappointing sequential speeds for owners of those motherboards (though the drives are still much faster than HDD due to the vastly superior random performance).  So perhaps there's a slightly higher than typical chance of a compatibility issue?  Though it is also entirely possible it is just a faulty drive.  Noway to knwo for sure without involving another piece of hardware - either trying that drive in a different computer or indeed swapping it for a replacement to try in yours.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Well I wanted to make sure it wasn't a bad drive so I had Amazon send me out a replacement. After installation and setting in the bios I carried to installation of windows 10 x64. After the initial install of the files, the system rebooted and to my dismay the system hangs just like the previous mx500 did. Now I know these ssd are good it's just that they so new and very immature in firmware there is going to be growing pains. Until there is a new firmware update, anybody running the Asus crosshair ii formula mother board and windows 10 x64, just know for now it will not work. I still use tons of crucial products and  they make first class memory and nand. So don't be discouraged, maybe just wait until there is at least one new firmware update. As for me, I will have to go to a different brand unfortunately. I still have hope that maybe there will be new firmware soon so I can keep my mx500.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

I can remember that last year I wanted to put a SSD into old nVidia driven notebook. I have been fighting with this for many, many hours with no major success unfortunately. Anyway, that notebook died few weeks later Smiley Wink

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!