Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
Sindelic
Accepted Solution

New Crucial M500 has insane amount of reallocated sectors

Just bought a Crucial M500 480GB SSD, stuck it in my HDD dock and found this:
HD Tune SMART Status

Crystal Disk Info SMART Status

My M500 is on the MU02 firmware and after reading the change log for the MU03 firmware, I calmed down a bit.

Version MU03 includes the following changes:

• SMART fix to ensure zero at all attributes upon shipment
  • SMART counter improvements for better customer data
  • Fix for potential Haswell compatibility issue (latest Intel platform)
  • Provide system builders with the ability to disable the temperature throttling function (please see updated data sheet)
  • Resolved potential problem causing long reboot times on some Apple MacBook systems
  • Improved compatibility with latest encryption management software
  • Changed polarity of DAS (drive activity signal)
  • Improvements in efficiency of background operations for improved lifetime and performance
  • Fixed bug in SMART readlog operation (does not affect SMART data)

What do you guys think? Just a firmware glitch or reason to be concerned?

I understand it's normal for NAND flash to have bad sectors and that SMART data can easily be misreported for SSDs, but I really don't want to start my next PC build with a ticking time-bomb of a boot partition.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: New Crucial M500 has insane amount of reallocated sectors

in reply to Sindelic

All M500's seem to have them.  Crucial are actually prepping a knowledge base article on it to reassure people.  If you upgrade to MU03 you'll actually see a new stat detailing how many reserve blocks you'll have that will reassure you even more when you see how much that outweighs the reallocations..

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
Sindelic

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

Thanks man, my blood pressure is lowering already, lol.

So is there any way to get an accurate bearing on how many reallocated sectors you do have? HD Tune says +30,000 while CrystalDiskInfo says 8,000.

Could you by any chance point me to any good freeware, SSD monitoring utilies?
(This is the first SSD I've had; if I saw that many reallocated sectors on a HDD I'd be surprised the I/O could even access it, so excuse my ignorance.)

Thanks in advance.

Btw, is there a raw firmware file you can use to update manually, the installer didn't work for me?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]
in reply to Sindelic

Both programs are telling you the same thing. 8000hex is 32k decimal.

Sectors are 4k so you have 128MB reallocated which is quite a lot.

But... SSD's have masses of overprovision to aid performance and handle failed NAND.  The M500 has around 14% - around 70GB on a 480GB drive.  So that 128MB suddenly looks a lot less of an issue. :smileyhappy:

The SMART layout for the drive changes in MU03 (as you've noted) and to the best of my knowledge, CrystalDiskInfo 8.1 and later is the only program to currently support that new layout.

On the firmware page, the right most download is an iso of the firmware you can burn as a bootable CD/DVD.

Kilobyte Kid
Sindelic

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

So does the same rule of thumb that applies to HDDs apply to SSDs; i.e. if your drive keeps reallocating sectors it could be on it's way out?

targetbsp wrote:.

Sectors are 4k so you have 128MB reallocated which is quite a lot.

So what's the benchmark? How much do SSDs typically have reallocated out of the factory? Can you ever get an SSD that has zero bytes reallocated brand-new?

And also, does this impact performance in anyway?

targetbsp wrote:
The M500 has around 14% - around 70GB on a 480GB drive.

So that's on top of the formatted capacity (447GB)?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to Sindelic

If it keeps reallocating sectors then that's not a great sign.  Do note however that the numbers do get bumped by one by the firmware update for some reason - that's normal.

I've never seen an SSD with no day one reallocations, no.  They may not label it that way though - older Crucial drives actually labelled them as factory bad blocks for instance.  Think of it in the same was as how data transmission works (computer networks or digital TV).  You can make the product faster and cheaper by accepting and providing the ability to handle a small amount of error within the design than by attempting to ensure perfection.

It won't affect performance, no.  It would if you ran out of over-provision but your drive would be very old, worn and in dire need of replacement for the sake of your data more than your performance at that stage!

Yes, on top of the formatted capacity.  This is why it's marketed as a 480GB drive rather than 512GB.  It's traditional when selling a hard drive to consider 1k = 1000 whereas Windows considers 1k = 1024.  This is why hard drives appear to Windows smaller than they say on the box.  Pretty much all SSD's use that difference as over-provision and then the M500 takes a chunk more (between 480GB and 512GB)

Kilobyte Kid
Sindelic

in reply to targetbsp

You've been a big help my friend. Really appreciate your "crash course on SSDs" you've layed out here.

One last thing, I'm having that dreaded MCB chain corrupted error when trying to upgrade the firmware. I'ved tried switching between IDE and AHCI mode on the SATA controller, tried unplugging absolutely everything apart from the SSD and the Disc Drive, ensured the SSD was on the first SATA port and I still can't get the firmware to load.

Any ideas on that one?

I'm thinking my BIOS could use an update, but aside from that I'm all out of ideas.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]
in reply to Sindelic

Hmm... I've never actually heard of an MCB chain corrupted error.  You've done pretty much everything I'd normally suggest for a firmware update issue already.  I'm afraid you've got me with that one.  From google it looks like a freedos error (which the firmware uses for it's boot disc) rather than the firmware erroring itself.  If it's an option, it's generally easier to do the update from another computer than try and work out the things that can upset freedos!

If that's not an option and the bios update doesn't help and no other poster here knows, then I'd advising contacting Crucial support via the link in my signature.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to Sindelic

Sindelic wrote:

ensured the SSD was on the first SATA port

Sometimes motherboards have more than one SATA controller. What is the exact model of your motherboard?

Kilobyte Kid
Sindelic

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

targetbsp wrote:

If it's an option, it's generally easier to do the update from another computer

That did the trick! I think FreeDOS didn't particularly like the Intel SATA controllers, as the other PC had a mobo with a Marvell SATA controller. My M500 is now running MU03 and reporting only 2 reallocated sectors:

Crystal Disk Info 6.1.8

Do all of the other other SMART stats there look normal to you? I noticed the new "Unusued Reserve NAND Blocks" metric which reports 2019 reserve blocks; I take it that's quite a lot of head room?

A few of other values changed from their previous states before the update, such as Raw Read Error Rate and Unexpected Power Loss Count.

bogdan wrote:

Sindelic wrote:

ensured the SSD was on the first SATA port

Sometimes motherboards have more than one SATA controller. What is the exact model of your motherboard?

Thanks for the reply Bogdan. That seemed to be the issue at hand; before I was connecting the SSD to the Intel SATA controllers only, as I had read that's generally preferrable (more compatible) but it didn't seem to be in my case.

Our Latest Posts