New Crucial MX300 525GB - Reallocated Sector Count

JEDEC Jedi

Re: New Crucial MX300 525GB - Reallocated Sector Count

I am with targetbsp as to FTL mapping thing.

And I have never heard of sleep mode damaging SSDs because of writing into single sector - right now I have two notebooks I am putting into sleep and/or hibernation all the time, and my personal notebook is put into sleep/hibernation multiple times per day.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss

I think so, I never heard of sleep mode damaging SSDs, only thing to be aware of is hibernation wearing down SSD. 

I have new drive, I swapped sata cable (genuine ASUS provided with mainboard), I disabled sleep mode. (sleeping of harddisk was already disabled, as well hibernation).

What do you think of firmware updating?? Isnt better to leave it to factory default bios?

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Diwiak wrote:

What do you think of firmware updating?? Isnt better to leave it to factory default bios?

The arguments for and against are much the same as software.  'If ain't broke, don't fix it' vs 'i want the latest version as it'll have bug fixes and/or features'

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss

[ Edited ]

Proper response from Crucial

(just inquiring that I had it already disabled before SSD got errors, there was only sleep mode active (hybrid sleep/hibernate disabled as well)) :

I'm sorry to hear that you have experienced problems with your SSD. With regards to sleep mode, 
this can be used however we recommend changing your settings so that there is continued power
to the SSD during sleep. Normally sleep mode will kill power to the SSD and although this
shouldn't cause any long term problems, it can stop our Garbage Collection (TRIM) function
from running correctly. This function maintains the drive and could have been the cause
of your problem if it has not had adequate time to operate. To adjust your settings correctly, please follow the steps below: - Go to Control Panel - Go to Hardware and Sound - Go to Power Options - Select Change Plan Settings - Select Change Advanced Settings - Make sure the 'hard disk' field is set to ‘never’ (Laptop users select 'battery and power adapter').