New m550 ssd

Memory Leak Geek

New m550 ssd

[ Edited ]

Hi I'm tezza2 living in Australia just upgraded my Toshiba Satellite A500 PSAR9A 031001 Laptop from old faulty hard drive to the new Crucial M550 256GBSSD and also upgraded RAM from4GB to 8GB . It is only a Sata2 capable laptop running windows 7 64 bit but the difference in performance is astounding,Even though I do not have 6GB/s sata to use full potential of Crucial M550 SSD.Looking for a bit of advice (1) can I use any software such asCrystaldisk,ASssd or Atto ? to benchmark the performance of Crucial SSD, or is this damaging to SSD? and(2) Is  there any advantage in Installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology in my laptop.I do not have any other drives connected in system e.g. raid just the one drive.After looking on the web find conflicting in formation.And (3) any windows 7 64 bit settings to alter to maximise performance or should just leave alone?

Appreciate any help as 68 yrs old and only involved with computers last 3 years Thanks tezza2

10 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: New m550 ssd

Congrats on the new drive. I just installed the M550 in my alienware and I am LOVING it!!!

I am looking to the same answers to most of your questions, but I will try to help from what I know.

1. I have no clue

2. I have intel RST on mine and I have updated all the drivers, but from what I can tell, it doesnt actually do anything if you only have one drive connected.

3. I removed the hibernate mode and saved 12GB of space. I also set to AHCI in the bois, make sure TRIM was enabled and made sure the disc defragmentor was set to NEVER run. But I am still looking at other settings like.

1. Disable System Restore?
  2. Disable drive indexing?
  3. Disable the page file?
  4. Disable prefetching in the registry?
  5. Disable Windows' write caching?
  6. Disable the SuperFetch and Windows Search services?
  7. Disable ClearPageFileAtShutdown and LargeSystemCache?

I dont know if we should be doing all this or not. Hopfully someone smarter will know.

Highlighted
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

you can leave all those active, if you wish. however, if you are just into benching, all can be disabled. some old apps require use of the page file (windows will page if it finds itself in a bind). w/win7, you can go either way, along w/restore, to save room/slight wear and tear, but for a daily driver, i wouldn't bother. write caching should be left on, as it will increase performance.
Memory Leak Geek

Hi and thanks to tobyj and to m0fus for your response, I think I will leave things as they are for the moment though I did untick enable disk write caching in    Computer right click /manage left click/device manager left click/ disk drives left click

right click on drive concerned/left click on properties/left click on policies/and I unchecked enable write caching on the device,and everything seems ok (but hard to tell without comparing before and after, hence enquiry about is it safe to benchmark SSD?) This was suggested in little booklet I received with SSD from SSD retailer in Australia and mentioned to refer tohttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/259716 for more info.I looked this up but article only mentioned earlier versions of windows (windows 2000) and told me to go to widows 7 solution center where I got a bit lost and gave up. Anyway thanks for you replies and good luck.I think I will contact my retailer in Australia on monday (who are extremely helpful) and see if they can shed some light on this matter.I wish I had started on computers when I was a bit younger.Have a good weekend cheers tezza2

JEDEC Jedi

You want windows write caching on without a doubt. Write performance will be ruined without it.

Basically disabling hibernate, which you already did, was all you needed to do.  Trim and disk defrag do matter too but they're correct by default anyway.  Everything else shouldn't be changed for the sake of the SSD.  They either compromise your safety (system restore) or performance (indexing) for the sake of preserving drive life.  Which was fine when these things were a new invention and only lasted a few years. But is a bit pointless now they last decades.  And with that in mind, feel free to benchmark them! Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Memory Leak Geek

Thanks for your reply targetBsp sounds like you know what you are talking about ,and i did do a benchmark test earlier on (Crystaldisk)   and write results were nothing like read results and I thought gee that is a big difference so now I understand why. i will change this now and knowing it is ok to benchmark should be able to see a difference,And you are right I checked trim and disk defrag and default has them under control. I do appreciate  your reply and thank you.Americans and Australians are sort of cousins in a way so thanks Cous' I hope i can help one of you guys sometime

Cheers tezza2

SODIMM Sherpa

Hello tezza2 - In regards to your original post, here is a good guide for optimizing the settings on both Windows 7 and 8 when using a SSD drive. Please note there are 6 pages and 18 items in total. The link is here: http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

Memory Leak Geek

Hi to Derek_S   Thank you so much for the link to SSD Optimization guide,there sure are some helpful people on the Crucial forum. Have a great day it is 10am here in Australia, Cheers tezza2

Kilobyte Kid

I decided to disable system restore and drive indexing. After researching it, I don't think I will miss these options. These two saved me around 7GB of space. Add that with the 12GB I saved by removing the hibernation feature and I have freeed up almost 20GB of space. That's all I plan to do at this point. It's plenty fast and I just need it to last me about 2-3 years of extensive use. If I get that out of it I will be well pleased.

Best of luck.
JEDEC Jedi

Hibernation is worth removing if you don't use it for the space.

System Restore is near essential if you're the kind of person that 'experiments' with your PC like I do.  If you simply sue your PC you can probably get away with it.  But IMO it was the single best thing Microsoft has added int he entire history of Windows. Smiley Very Happy  You can make it smaller rather than turn it off if you desire.

Indexing speeds up searching.  In the old days we recommended disabling it for some weird reason.  But really, there's no good reason to disable it that I know of.

As for drive life, a lot of SSD tweaks came out in the days of the Indilinx SSD's when the drives lasted a few years.  Current ones can last decades.  Last time I did the maths, my SSD in a PC which is on 16 hours a day almost every day will last 50 years.  You don't need to be disabling parts fo Windows for the sake of drive life.

These guides are all well and good if you understand what they are suggesting and agree with the principles behind the changes (which it sounds like you do TobyJ).  But IMO, general users shouldn't touch them.  Don't blindly trust that us geeks know better how to configure Windows than the people who actually wrote Windows.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?