Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
mrmeister

Problem with Optibay SSD on Macbook Pro Late 2011

Hi,
I have an SSD as my boot drive (OCZ 240gb) and i have just received a Crucial M500 960gb. I want to use the M500 as a data drive in an optibay. 

I installed everything (hardware related), booted the mac back up expecting to see the drive on my desktop - nothing.
I went to disk utility and was relieved to see the drive there, so went to format it - it wouldn't let me... 
I decided to remove the drive, connect via USB, format (worked) and then replace back into the mac. 

Well, now it's just weird. It sees it, but not right away. It shows up on my desktop maybe up to 5 minutes after booting. If i go into disk utility, every command i try just hangs and takes ages, and reformatting/erasing still does not work.

I tried to copy data to the drive only to find that it is read only and cannot be changed... 

I then consulted the internet and found that this is a common problem with any optibay and Sata 3 ssd.

Now, is there anything that i can do? Or do i just return it? I am still desperate for this to work so i can use it for my work. I use a lot of sound libraries for music composition and their fairly large file sizes need to be loaded fast for efficiency. 

My macbook is a 15" late 2011, and it has 6/6 speeds on the main bay and optical bay (unlike the earlier 6/3 models). I've looked into shielding, but this only seems to work in some cases, and i really don't want to risk short circuiting my macbook with foil because of an accidental bad job... 

Please, any help?
Would it even be possible to force Sata 2 speeds?? I've seen that OCZ has a "Toolbox" that allows users of the "3" series drives (like the Vertex 3 i have) to update firmware etc... but also force SATA speeds such as SATA 1/2/3. Details can be found on the first post of this forum at the link provided: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?96106-quot-3-quot-series-drives-only-Macbook-...

If you need any other info, please let me know and i'll get back to you asap. 

Thanks

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Problem with Optibay SSD on Macbook Pro Late 2011

in reply to mrmeister

Hi mrmeister,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems with your new SSD.

So we can work out if it's a problem with using the optibay or a problem with the SSD itself can you try the M500 in the normal HDD bay?  This is to check that it's being detected and working fine connected to the standard SATA port within the MacBook Pro system.

We always recommend that our drives are connected through the main SATA port in a Mac system and not the optibay as our drives are designed to work through the standard SATA connection.

Does the M500 need to be in the optibay or could you swap the two SSD's round to see if that works better?  Mac systems in general have problems with SSD's being in the optibay and that's with all manufacturers of SSD's not just our own.

If you ordered from us directly within the last 45 days you are still within the refund period and we would be happy to do that for you.  Please let us know how it goes and we can take it from there.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
mrmeister

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Hi,

I was just about to post. I sorted out the problem yesterday and i've been testing stability since then. 

My other SSD (boot drive) is an OCZ Vertex 3. OCZ have released a Linux bootable "Toolbox", allowing their users to upgrade the firmware, secure erase etc... One of the options is to allow the user to change the link speed on the "3" series drives [Vertex 3, Vector 3 - anything OCZ <series> 3].

What i did was change the OCZ Vertex 3 to run at 3Gbps (SATA 2) instead of 6Gbps (SATA 3). I then put the OCZ drive into the optibay and moved the Crucial M500 into the Main bay. Everything appears to be working fine, besides when i shut the Macbook Pro, it takes about 10-15 seconds for it to sleep, and in that time the fans get increasingly faster, but that's something i can live with. 

What i have learnt from this (and am assuming) is that Macbook Pro's will NOT allow a SATA 3 drive in the optibay. As i have 'forced' my OCZ into thinking it's a SATA 2 drive, it now works. 

I have emailed Mohamed Hamid at Crucial tech support with all of this information too, and suggested that Crucial make their own Linux EFI boot for Macs, which will allow their users to change the negotiated link speed of their drives should they wish. 

If Crucial were to offer this, i would definitely purchase another M500 960GB, force it to run SATA 2, and then have ~2TB of SSD storage in my MBP with one drive SATA 3 and the other SATA 2. 

Hopefully other users with this issue will be able to benefit from this post. I have posted my problem on the OCZ forums and Mac rumors. I will update these posts with my fix later in the day. Hopefully anyone reading who owns an OCZ "3" series  will be able to benefit, and if people don't own one, then they might be able to buy a SATA 2 SSD instead. I live in the UK, so i can't buy them, but i believe OWC still offers a full range of SATA 2 SSDs. 

Hopefully this helps!

Kilobyte Kid
rbmanian75

in reply to mrmeister
I do have this issue. One more vote for crucial to provide an option to change the link speed to 3gbps. So that users like us will make use of it.
Kilobyte Kid
mrmeister

in reply to rbmanian75

You should try emailing tech support and notify them of this forum post. See if anything will happen.

Even though i messaged tech support when i resolved this issue, i never received any response from them to even acknowledge that they'd read the message.

Kilobyte Kid
rbmanian75

[ Edited ]
in reply to mrmeister

I had a chat with trained support person named james yesterday and he told me that crucial ssd's are only designed to work with main hdd bay. it is very sad for me that we cant make use of crucial  6gbps ssd in optibay. I am returning it for refund...***Edited to remove Crucial competitor***..or wait for crucial to come up with a solution. (i doubt it will happen or not) :smileysad:

Kilobyte Kid
mrmeister

in reply to rbmanian75

I wonder if it would be possible for someone out there who knows Linux to be able to make a bootable USB that would change negotiated link speed of ANY hard drive/SSD - not just Crucial?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to mrmeister

It would have to modify the drive or notherboards firmware wouldn't it?  You couldn't do that generically for any product.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
rbmanian75

in reply to targetbsp

Yes it has to be in the drive or system firmware. it seems to be some of the drive mfrs provide this..(http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1584023)

Binary Boss
angelofarina

[ Edited ]
in reply to rbmanian75

***Edited to remove Crucial competitor***

It would be really great if Crucial provides such a speed-downgrade tool also for the M500.

I am another happy owner of one M500-960Gb (in the main bay) who is ready to spend the money for a second one (to be mounted in the optical bay), if just it was possible to force it running at SATA2 speed...

Of course, it would be even better if Apple would mody the EFI PROM so that the maximum allowed link speed for the optical bay is limited to SATA-II (3 Gbps)...

Our Latest Posts