Problems installing Windows 10 in a BX100, does not see it during the installation

Kilobyte Kid

Problems installing Windows 10 in a BX100, does not see it during the installation

Hi,

I purchased a BX100 two years ago. Since then, I installed it in a Macbook late 2008, and a Toshiba L300 (both of them bought in 2008). I had no problems installing MacOs X and Windows 7 (32 and 64 bits).

The big surprise came when I tried to install the Crucial BX100 in an Asus r510vx, and I found that the installer doesn't even recognize the disk and demands for the driver. The BIOS is not the problem, 'cos says its ok and recognizes it properly.

That's the image:

enter image description here

I found in the forum that some people put the disk in IDE, but I cannot do it because my BIOS has not that option. Some other says that you can download the driver and install it when the installer asks for it.

Ok, and there is my problem. The driver downloaded from asus (or any other computer) is an .exe file, but the installer does not see that type of file. Even the Crucial driver is an .exe or .zip (with an .exe inside).

How (or where) can I find the driver to install it when is asked for?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Problems installing Windows 10 in a BX100, does not see it during the installation

[ Edited ]

Drives don't have drivers.  It'll be your motherboards storage controller that is wanting a driver.

If you use a copy of Windows supplied with the computer - it will include them.  If you're using a generic copy of Windows that's older than your computer then you may need drivers from the computer's manufacturer or chipset manufacturer.  Intel's are here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005

You're looking for the 'F6' drivers - since that's the key you used to press under XP to install them.  You'll need them on a USB flash drive unless you want to look into slipstreaming them into Windows.

Your life would be easier if you used a more modern OS. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Problems installing Windows 10 in a BX100, does not see it during the installation

Drive themselves don't have drivers.  The driver in question there is for your motherboards sata controller.  You should be able to get that from the computers manufacturer or from the chipset manufacturer such as Intel here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005

You're looking for what's known as the 'F6 driver' since that was the key combination to install it under XP.  It should be unzipped onto a USB pen drive.

I'm not sure it will help though since Windows 10 ought to support your sata controller...

I'd try a BIOS update if there is one - even though the BIOS is seeing it.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks, but it did not solve the problem.

After trying to install it, it gave me the same problem.

What the installer said to meWhat the installer said to me

I'm a bit tired, and after more than 8 hours of work and find no solution, I'm done with it. I'll install Windows 7 x64, due to it gave me no problem before and allows to install.

Thanks for your time. Maybe other people will find your solution useful.

Kilobyte Kid

I reply myselft. I suppose somebody in the future will think it helpful.

What I did:

-first, as I said before in this thread, tried to install the F6. No solved the problem.

-later, tried to install windows 7. OK, it should work, but no. It recognized the HD, but had many failures while installing other drivers (USB and LAN mainly).

So, what happened? I had this same computer with Windows 7 and Windows 10 in the past with no problems, same with Ubuntu and Mint. So I tried with another SATA disk, and same problem. Instaled the old HD, and same problem. Ups, it told me that the SSD was not the problem.

Mainly, I used some DVD that was corrupted, or only God knows.

What I did? ==> Download Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store, burn it again and that was all. More than 16 hours of work lost for some DVD bad burned, total cost 0.50€. Or maybe the DVD recorder, I haven't tried it yet.