Problems with new SSD bought from Crucial

Kilobyte Kid

Problems with new SSD bought from Crucial

Hello, I have recently bought a new SSD for my iMac 9,1. I do not want any files from my iMac on my new drive and I want a fresh install of the latest macOS software. When I plug my SSD into my iMac via a USB connection the computer displays the message:

The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.

I have tried to go onto Disk Utility in order to partition the drive but the only drive displayed in the control panel is the internal hard drive in the iMac. How do I partition and Install a fresh version of macOS?

1 Reply
Community Manager

Re: Problems with new SSD bought from Crucial

@luke1 I am sorry for the issues you've experienced with your Mac. We would advise installing the SSD internally via SATA (NOT using the SATA to USB cable or an external enclosure). After this, check if the SSD is detected as a boot drive by pressing the Options key at startup. If it is seen there, run the Mac OS installation as that should pick up the SSD. If the SSD is not seen as a boot drive at startup when connected internally:

• Boot the Mac from the OS installation CD (OS version 10.6 and earlier) or Recovery Mode and open Disk Utility.
  • If the drive shows up there, initialize it 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?