Question about my calculation for TBW. Is this the correct way?

JEDEC Jedi

Re: Question about my calculation for TBW. Is this the correct way?

I am not sure to be honest. Total Host Sector Writes always worked for me. 

On one hand you can take what is documented by micron/crucial.

On the other hand you could note down 'Total Host Sector Writes' value, write particular amount of data to drive (like 20 GBs) and then compare the value. Then you could see if your 'Total Host Sector Writes' value is reliable indicator of host writes or not and decide which calculation is proper, I guess.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

JEDEC Jedi

Or is it something that @targetbsp mentioned about perhaps? http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Question-about-MX200-Total-Host-Sector-Writes/td-p/171056

Kilobyte Kid

Ow okay... :/

~116.1 TB vs ~49.32 TB is really a big difference though.

Also this is worrying me:

202 Percent_Lifetime_Used   0x0031   252   252   000    Pre-fail  Offline      -       104

Seems the SSD is coming to an end.

JEDEC Jedi

The difference is huge and I am not sure why there is such a difference. In the evening I will take a look at my other Crucial SSD models.

NAND flash memory is rated for 3000 program/erase cycles in those drives and what you can see in your SMART data is:

173 Ave_Block-Erase_Count   0x0032   252   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       3133

On the other hand those SSDs has been tested and reported they can possibly handle much more p/e cycles. That way or another I believe we should keep in mind that any drive (the one that is worn out as well as the one that is brand new) can fail anytime. That is why we should have some backup strategies. Always.

If it is a mission critical drive (though these are consumer rather than enterprise class drives so it probably shouldn't be) then you could probably think about replacing it.

Bit Baby

Hi Guys,

I am trying to calculate the same TBW for m.2 micron and I am having the same issue. I used the same formula as @bogdan and while searching got to this blog. Did you end up finding out the accurate calculation?

Sam

Bit Baby

Hi Guys,

I am trying to calculate the same TBW for m.2 micron and I am having the same issue. I used the same formula as @bogdan and while searching got to this blog. Did you end up finding out the accurate calculation?

Sam

Kilobyte Kid

For some reason it's still off and I never got an answer back unfortunately. So we kinda moved over to a different brand with better insight.
So cannot help you out here. Hopefully someone can give you detailed information and/or at least a working formula...