READ ME FIRST: SSD Guides and FAQs (updated April 2013)

Community Manager

READ ME FIRST: SSD Guides and FAQs (updated April 2013)

[ Edited ]

We want all of our members to enjoy their experience in the Crucial forum community. Please bear in mind the following when asking for help:

1. Please do not post in all caps. This is unnecessary and makes the forums difficult to read.

2. Create new posts for your specific issue, unless a solution has been posted prior. (Use "search" function to find a solution that has already been posted. Do not change the subject headlines for other posts.)

3. Post a subject title that provides a clear indication of the problem you are experiencing. For example. posting something like "Major problem!! Look inside!" does not communicate anything about the issue you are facing.

4. Please provide the following information:

• Make and model names of computer or motherboard. If you do not know this information, click on the following link to use our system scanner.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

When the scanner has finished, copy the URL from your browser's address bar and paste it into your post, so we can find the information.

• Crucial Part Number. The one from the part, not the one from the scan result page (the two are different).

• A detailed description of issue.  Simply saying "part is not working" does not provide enough information to be able to give a detailed, helpful response.
8 Replies

Tips, tweaks, and recommended settings

[ Edited ]

In this post we will collect links to Guides, articles, and to the most common SSD tweaks posted here in the forum, in an effort to make them easier to find for new community members looking for answers. These guides are provided by members of our community and we hope to see more of them as the community grows. If you see a helpful and detailed post that you think should be added to this list, please notify a moderator.

Please keep questions and discussion about the guides and tweaks in their respective threads.

To Pagefile or not to pagefile...? This isn't technically a guide, but the thread contains some useful information (provided primarily by targetbsp and sfaure)

PDF Guide - Safely Updating Crucial C300 Firmware Using Gigabyte Motherboards, created by lsdmeasasp.

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Highlighted
Community Manager

How to contact Customer Service

Please also note that the purpose of the community is for users to help each other. Crucial Moderators keep an eye on the boards and will only jump in with assistance where required or after a certain amount of time has passed.

If you would like a quick and direct response from Crucial you can call us or use the Live Chat facility. Just click on the link below for your location, click "More contact options," and then select Customer Service to view our contact information.

US - www.crucial.com/contact
UK - www.crucial.com/uk/contact
EU - www.crucial.com/eu/contact

Note: Please do not use the "report abuse" feature to ask questions or request help.  That feature is to be used for reporting abusive or incorrect posts, not to contact Customer Service.

Community Manager

Does the Crucial SSD require a driver to operate?

No, the SSD itself does not require a driver, however; your computer system's Serial ATA (SATA) controller may require a driver for your operating system to load. If you have a manufacturer's system recovery CD to load your operating system, the system drivers should be included. If you don't have a recovery CD and you're using a retail copy of your operating system, you will need press F6 to load your system's storage drivers via a floppy drive when you boot to your operating system installation CD in order to detect the SSD. For further information you can reference the Microsoft Knowledgebase Article Number 314859, and consult your computer's user manual or manufacturer for further information.

Community Manager

Crucial Wiper Tool M225

[ Edited ]

The Crucial Wiper tool for user-initiated Garbage Collection is now available. It is for Windows XP and Vista only, and has been verified to work on firmware version 1571 and 1819. We are working on a solution for the Mac OS and will post it when available.

The Wiper Utility is only compatible with the M225 SSD.  At this time, there is not a wiper utility for the Crucial C300 or M4.

Community Manager

Fresh install of OSX on a SSD

[ Edited ]

Here are the steps you need to perform when installing OSX on a SSD:

1. Once the SSD has been installed, ensure that the ribbon cable and the SATA interface cables are attached properly to the drive and also verify it is seated into the motherboard/pcb. This is very important, we receive several calls every week where the cables were the problem.

2. Install OSX Disc 1 and wait until it asks you which disk you want to install the OS to. The SSD will not show up here!  The drive comes without a partition, and needs to be reformatted/partitioned for the OSX before the installation disc can recognize it.

3. Select Utilities and then select Disk Utilities.

4. The Crucial SSD will show up in the Disk Utility (if it doesn't, power down and check both ends of the SATA cable again). Highlight the SSD and click the Partition tab.

5. Click on Options and verify that it's set to "GUID Partition Scheme".

6. Now select Partition 1 if you want to use the entire SSD as a single partition, and give it a suitable name.

7. Verify that it has default selected "Mac OS Ex tended (Journaled)".

8. Select Partition. The drive will now be partitioned and formatted.

9. When the Disk Utility is done, close it.

10. You should now be back on the screen where you can select a destination to load the OS, and this time the SSD will show up there. Select it, and continue with the install.

Community Manager

How to find what Firmware version you have

[ Edited ]

How To Find Your Firmware Revision in Windows:

1) Click on the Start menu
2) Open Control panel> System> Hardware
3) Select device manager
4) Expand disk drives
5) Right click on the drive and select properties
6) Select details tab > select 'hardware lds' from the drop down menu and the firmware version will be displayed.

How To Find Your Firmware Revision in OSX:

1)  Click on the Apple menu
2)  Select About This Mac, then 'More Info', then 'System Report'
3)  From the Contents list, select 'Hardware'
4)  From the Hardware sub-menu, select Serial-ATA
5)  The drive attributes will be displayed on the pane on the right.  You will see the name of the drive i.e. Crucial CTXXXXXXX, the drive capacity etc.  The firmware version will show in the 'Revision' field.

Applying to both platforms:

If the drive does not report a revision or reports something other than the versions we have released, and you are connecting the drive using a SATA or USB cable, try another cable or connecting the drive directly through the SATA port as faulty cables can sometimes cause errors in reporting.

Released firmware versions for the M225 are 1571, 1711, 1819, 1916. Released firmware versions for the C300 are 0001 and 0002. Released firmware versions for the M4 are 0001, 0002, and 0009.

Community Manager

Do not downgrade from 0006 to 0002 firmware on the C300

Hello,

We realize that downgrading firmware has been suggested by some on the forum as a possible fix for various issues. However, doing so will cause the drive to be unusable, and also voids your Crucial SSD product warranty. Please do not try to downgrade (a.k.a. down rev) the firmware from version 0006 to version 0002. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact our Technical Support department.

Be sure to use the proper link for your location.

US Customer Service

UK/EU Customer Service

Guru, Crucial Moderator, US
Community Manager

Knowledge Base Links

[ Edited ]

We have recently added some troubleshooting steps to the Crucial Tribal Knowledge Base.  They are very helpful and have great tips on resolving some issues.

Why doesn't my desktop recognize my SSD?

Why did my SSD "disappear" from my system?

My operaing system will not install on my SSD!

I'm not achieving the benchmark speeds I expected.

Check out the Crucial Tribal Knowledge Base for more tips and helpful information.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK