Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
tb77

RealSSD C300 - TRIM and Performance over Time - Firmware 02?

RealSSD c300 - TRIM and Performance over Time

Does the latest 02 firmware fixes this problem or can we expect updates on this?

I'm currently thinking of upgrading my 256GB Crucial M225 to a 256GB RealSSD C300 - as a system drive for Windows 7 and it will also host source code and I will do all the code compilation etc. on - so quite a lot of write access.

Thomas

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: RealSSD C300 - TRIM and Performance over Time - Firmware 02?

If you go to the firmware page: http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

and click release notes next to the C300 it says Trim is improved. :smileyhappy:

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Memory Leak Geek
Trentors

in reply to targetbsp

AnandTechs IS testing the drive with the 002 firmware. It evens shows in the screenshots.

It does not seem to work very well.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to Trentors

Firstly: "The scenario that you have to create to force the drive into this condition isn’t realistic at all"

Secondly, they seem to suggest it's fixed anyway:

"Either way the problem is now fixed with the 0002 firmware revision"

"But now if we TRIM the contents of the drive the performance curve looks like this:

Writes are at about 140MB/s and reads are in the low 200s. Everything is back to normal."

It seems to be the GC they don't much rate.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Memory Leak Geek
Trentors

in reply to targetbsp

With TRIM the drive works very well according to AnandTech.

Yes it is the GC they are dismissing (firmware 002):

"The idle GC just isn’t very aggressive. Compared to what Indilinx and SandForce have done, Crucial’s implementation just doesn’t cut it. For Windows 7 users running a single drive this shouldn't matter since you have TRIM. But if you're running RAID or another OS, the C300 isn't as desirable."

But I rely on the GC since I also use the drive with Windows XP. Anandtech is basically saying that the drive should never be used without a TRIM-supported OS since there is no Wiper tool and the GC is not very good :-(

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to Trentors

I have threased on 2 C300's with tons of benchmarks, plenty of OS installs and various mirrors back and forth to the drives and have never used them in a TRIM enabled system, and have not seen any of that using GC.

What he did to the drives is a personal method he has to push the drives to their limits, not how a normal users would use the drives anyway.   I did see his comments on GC, but he does not test under normal conditions so I don't see how he is applying that in the same review as normal use and his use/bench/testing does not compare at all.

My drives are as fast as day one, both read and write, and I have benched them for weeks and done many other various things with them in RAID, out of RAID, several OS installs both ways, ect and nothing has affected them at all.   I have even used Free Space Cleaner with FF to fill the drives to 100% with FF (Clean space) several times and no impact was made by this or anything else.

I am sure he has a valid point, but not for normal end users I don't think

Our Latest Posts