Remove Micron Firmware Update utility from BIOS boot list

Kilobyte Kid

Remove Micron Firmware Update utility from BIOS boot list

I bought SSD Crucial MX200, 250GB. I installed crucial firmware update utility in windows 10 and then I clicked on update firmware on SSD disk (windows 10 is now on primary disk SSD Kingston and Crucial is now as secondary disk). Computer restarted and booted to the update utility. Firmware was updated successfully, but... From bootlist disappeared UEFI Kingston and is there additionally Micron Firmware update and i can't boot to the windows 10. Only what can I do is boot: UEFI: USB,  Micron Firmware update and thats all. Recovery disk from windows only says, nothing to repair. I tried recovery UEFI partition on windows DISK. Did not help. I flashed bios and boot list looks good. Without Micron Firmware update. Then I booted to the windows. Everything looks OK. But after restart computer I have Micron Firmware update back in the boot list and I cant boot again :-/ How to remove Micron Firmware update? Thank you.

8 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Remove Micron Firmware Update utility from BIOS boot list

Take a look at this thread. It seems it may have something to do with how UEFI handle and keep records about boot devices. I think that at first I would try to play with UEFI settings and maybe reset them to defaults.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for reply. I already flashed bios and repair it, but when I booted to windows 10 and then restarted, Micron firmware update was back in bios again. In windows I uninstalled software from crucial and try flash bios again. Boot to windows, restart and Micron is back in bios :-/ and I cant boot again. I thinking about restore windows from version of bit copy before install Crucial software :-/ Do you think, can help it?

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

I don't know, unfortunately. But using system restore should be safe to your data so it may be some idea to try that out.

See however what 'System Configuration' is showing under 'Boot' tab - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/boot-windows-10-safe-mode/

Maybe there is a boot entry that is messing up with your configuration?

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for help. I checked it, but I have there only one line with windows 10.

I scanned HDD, regedit and tasks and I found directory c:\MSE_firmware where is MU04 and 1.bin. I deleted it (moved) and now it looks good. After several reboot is bios OK and boot list is clean. Now I am afraid connect crucial SSD back to computer :-) Can affect bios firmware stored on crucial SSD?

Kilobyte Kid

Now all works fine. Crucial SSD disk is OK, But I still dont know the point what after boot to the windows and then restart affect bios boot list. Some task or at least something... 

JEDEC Jedi

Thanks for posting this information, it can be useful to others with simillar issue :-)

I guess it was related to UEFI boot type and how UEFI interact with OS boot drive but I don't know the exact cause. I have never encountered this kind of an issue but I use bootable firmware updaters only.

Bit Baby

I just hit this. It seems that the micron firmware installer, that's configured by Crucial's Storage Executive to run a boot-up, doesn't remove the boot entry upon exit.

Fortunately, my system's bios has a boot entry editor, so was able to delete the micron firmware installer that way.

Highlighted
Bit Baby

I just hit this. It seems that the micron firmware installer, that's configured by Crucial's Storage Executive to run a boot-up, doesn't remove the boot entry upon exit.

Fortunately, my system's bios has a boot entry editor, so was able to delete the micron firmware installer that way.