S.M.A.R.T. attribute i.d. 196 - Reallocation Count

SOLVED
Megabyte Maverick

S.M.A.R.T. attribute i.d. 196 - Reallocation Count

Several days ago I installed a new Crucial M500 120GB SSD in my Lenovo T400 laptop. I also used a hard drive caddy to install the original Western Digital 160GB SATA drive in the bay that housed the DVD drive. I set up a 24GB partition on the Crucial SSD drive for the root partition and formatted it to use ext4 as the filesystem, and set up the home and swap partitions on the conventional drive. Then I installed Linux Mint 16 Petra 64 bit as the operating system. Post installation I applied a number of Linux tweaks aimed at reducing unnecessary system writes to the SSD. All went well and I am very happy with the results. However, this morning I opened the disk utility that displays S.M.A.R.T. data for the system drives and found that S.M.A.R.T. attribute #196 - Reallocation Count - has a raw value of 16 for the new Crucial SSD. All other attributes that are considered warnings have values of zero.

The drive has only been in use for three days and I only trimmed the SSD once since installation by using the command "sudo fstrim -v /". Should I be concerned? Or is this an attribute that does not apply to SSDs? I realize that garbage collection and wear leveling may play a part in this, but I would like to know for sure. I plan on monitoring this to see if the raw value increases over time, and would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: S.M.A.R.T. attribute i.d. 196 - Reallocation Count

It's normal. All M500's have non zero values there.  There's plenty of other posts about it with more detail such as this: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/New-Crucial-M500-has-insane-amount-of-reallocated...

And Crucial are working on a knowledge base article about it to explain the numbers.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

My M500 also has a value of 16 on arrival. Monitoring over time seems to be a good idea Smiley Happy

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Megabyte Maverick

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies, and I'm glad to hear it's a bug rather than an actual problem. I realize that some S.M.A.R.T. attributes have no real meaning when it comes to SSD drives and was hoping this was one of them.

JEDEC Jedi

It does have meaning.  All of the values do.  They only don't have meaning if you were viewing them in a SMART program that doesn't support the drive's layout.

It's just not a problem that some of them are reallocated as explained in the linked thread. Smiley Happy

We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?