SMART power on time totally wrong (MX300)

Kilobyte Kid

SMART power on time totally wrong (MX300)

Something must have reset SMART statistics of my MX300 in a Mac Pro. It's back at 80 hours only, wich is impossible since it runs almost daily for months. Another MX300 bought later is correctly at 1400 hours.

How would this be possible? Is this something to worry about?

(Firmware is M0CR21)

10 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: SMART power on time totally wrong (MX300)

Are you sure it got back to 80? I mean are you sure was it higher before?

Is another MX300 in the same Mac or is it in a different system?

Take a look at this thread - http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/BX100-Power-On-Hours-low-reading/td-p/170567

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

I don't know if it was reading a higher value before, because I haven't checked. What I do know is that it's in the Mac for 5 months, around 10 hours a day. The other MX300 is in the same Mac, albeit as m.2 card form factor. Power saving is disabled.

Also, the MX300 is the system volume, which is active all the time.

Power cycles count is at 305 now. The m.2 card is at 261, which both look reasonable. The m.2 card is at 1,400 power on hours, so realistically, the system volume should be at 1,600 or so.

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

It's probably just not going up (much) in the first place then.  I vaguely recall someone on here reported the same before.  I've never really studied mine!

[edit]

Mine currently look reasonably on target but mine are older models so it could be a firmware glitch in the 300.  There is a newer firmware than that out but it's probably a bit painful to upgrade on a Mac for something cosmetic like this?

Kilobyte Kid

Power on hours count is definitely not a merely "cosmetic issue". For any SMART utility, it is a vital statistics that helps interpret tear and wear on a device correctly.

Or what would you expect of a device that has had 25 TB of data written in merely 50 hours online?

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

In that case you have to ask producers to change the way their firmware revisions work Smiley Wink

ID # 9 Power-On Hours

JEDEC Jedi

SSD's record *actual* wear and tear.  It's measured via average NAND erases across the drive as a percentage of the NANDS rated lifetime.  You don't need to try and gauge it yourself based on hours and data quantities written.

I'm not sure hours on is terribly useful for this purpose anyway since the MTBF for the components for time online will be vastly higher than the NAND will last in use.

But if it is an important stat to you, you would need to contact Crucial and hopefully they can pass it on to the engineers at Micron.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Anderson,

Thank you for your question.

Can you confirm what software you used to check the SMART attributes on your SSD?  It is possible that it is not compatible with our SMART readings and that is why is showing as a different power on time.

Other than that, the power up time is not going to cause any problems.  It is more for reference and just because it is reading wrong in that software, does not point to any problems with the drive.  As long as the drive is working fine in day to day use, I would not worry about the drive at all.

If you do have any other questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask.

John   

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

The software is DriveDx (Mac). I doubt it's the software, though. It does read this value correctly on another MX300 (m.2 form factor).

Since I opened this thread, online hours increased to 87 only, despite the Mac running all day, almost 7 days a week. So the problem seems to be it counting very slowly, rather than resetting it back.

Firmware of the SATA drive in question is M0CR021.

Firmware of the m.2 drive is M0CR031.

JEDEC Jedi

If it's slow, it sounds like devsleep.  Basically the drive will be 'on' a lot less than your computer is to save power.