SSD Performance in Dell Mini 9

Kilobyte Kid

SSD Performance in Dell Mini 9

I had talked to Crucial support about the poor performance of the 32GB SSD I purchased for my Dell Mini 9.They said a new BIOS was coming to fix the issue. Dell released a new Bios A05 on 4/19/09. I installed that and performance is no better if not worse. Any suggestions?
11 Replies

Re: SSD Performance in Dell Mini 9

Hi Toddtracey,

The netbook SSD's main function is to increase the storage capacity of the system, it does not increase the speed of it.  Is this what you expected?  Perhaps it may need a RAM upgrade?  If you could let us know in what way the performance is poor i.e. general use of the system or when you do particular activities and how much memory you currently have installed we should be able to advise further.

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby

I think you miss the point made by the OP. It's not a case of him expecting that the SSD would speed up the system, but simply that when installed in the system the speed of reading/writing to the SSD is not very fast. I also have a Dell Mini 9 and have fitted a Crucial 32GB SSD and I find it also rather slow. My system has the maximum RAM (2GB). An example of times when it is slow is when installing updates - these take forever compared to a hard drive or the original SSD which the system had fitted when I first purchased it.

Kilobyte Kid

I also have the maximum RAM installed (also purchased from Crucial). The boot time is about twice as long as with the 16 Gig drive that came with it. Programm access time is slow. I purchased it to use as a 9" GPS with the bonus of having wi-fi and other PC based options. I have the 32 Gig drive sitting on a shel as it is unacceptable performance. As I mentioned in my first post, I talked to support about this after purchase and they told me it was a known defect but that a fix was coming in the form of a new BIOS from Dell. That did not help at all. So, now I'm stuck with an $80 plus drive that does not perform as advertised. What is Crucial going to do about it?

toddtracey,

From what you describe it sounds as if there simply might be something wrong with the drive and if that is the case, replacing it will solve the problem. Please contact our Customer Support department or use the links on our RMA page to request an exchange. Be sure to use the proper link for your location.

US Customer Service
US Warranty and Returns

UK/EU Customer Service
UK/EU Warranty and Returns

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Personally I don't think there is a fault as such with the drive, but I do suspect that there is a problem in the firmware which is causing delays in addressing the drive. Has there been an update to the firmware at any point that could explain these issues? Alternatively there could be a problem between particular versions of the Mini9 BIOS and (maybe) particular versions of the firmware on the drive - do you have any information about this?

Kilobyte Kid

I have returned the drive back to Crucial per their suggestion, for replacement. Once I receive the new drive, probably next week, I will post on the speed of that unit.

Moved:

Kilobyte Kid

I received the replacement drive and have just finished installing everyting on it. It is better than the original 32 GB drive but still not as responsive as the 16 Gig that came with the Dell at purchase. Boot time is better but it still is slow to access programs, explorer, etc compared to the original.

They did replace it quickly and w/o any hassle.

Kilobyte Kid

I have tried for almose 2 weeks now to get the drive installed and get the same file performance as I get with the original drive that came with the unit. It isn't even close in performance. I've redone the install 3 or 4 times to no avail. Is there a particular driver or something that might help? As is, the drive is practically useless to me. It takes several minutes to boot up compared to the seconds of the 16 gig original drive. File access is pitiful at best. I suppose I'm just out the $81 plus dollars at this point