Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Binary Boss
Zoork

Solution: C300 Disk Freeze-ups in Windows 7 solved for me

[ Edited ]

I want to tell all the people in this community who also have freeze-ups with the great C300 Crucial SSD and Windows 7, for me i have found a solution that works!

Two month of waiting for an new Rapid Storage from Intel or a new Firmware from Crucial, i found the solution by myself. At first i want to say, please forgive me Crucial, it is a shame for Crucial, that it comes no solution from the SSD Maker himself in the other big thread called "C300 Disk Freeze-ups in Windows 7”"since six month! It is a shame!

So, my problem was, since I use the P67 Chipset, the hole System hangs from time to time very long when I use the Rapid Storage from Intel, the entry in the Event Viewer is: Event ID:9 - The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

The solution is easy!  The problem is, that the C300 SSD cannot handle the LPM-Feature from the Rapid Storage from Intel. Crucial, please check the firmware from the C300 about LPM and test it in your labs! Since Version 10 of the Rapid Storage LPM is enabled by default, when you make a clean new installation from the RST and that was the problem on my system. I deactivate LPM on all ports by modify the Registry and the problem was solved directly, the freeze-ups are gone – so easy is it! Also the speed from the SSD goes dramatically up!

The needed Reg-File to disable LPM on all Intel Ports it is easy to create. Create a new Text-File, copy and paste the following text and then name it for example “LPM.reg”. When you have save the file double click on the file, restart your System and that’s it. On the next boot up LPM is disabled. You can also disable only one or two ports and so on. Then you must delete the line from that port, who you don’t want to disable LPM.

Copy start at the next line:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

"LPM"=dword:00000000
"LPMDSTATE"=dword:00000000
"DIPM"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port5]

Copy end up over this line:

Also you can do it by hand, thanks to Ady:

If there are no "Ports" under the iaStorV/iaStor Parameters, you will need to Manually Creating the Registry Location and Keys:

1. Go to Start-> Run..

2. Type in RegEdit and hit the Enter Key..

3. Go to the following Key location to insert or configure the registry keys for LPM:

Code:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Parameters\

4a. Right click "Parameters" select "New" then name it "Port0".

4b. Left click "Port0" to open and in the pane with Name/Type/Data, Right click select "New" then "DWORD" and name the new value "LPM".

4c. Repeat 4a/4b "LPMDSTATE" and "DIPM".

5.  When you want to ad the other Ports also to registry, then repeat the steps from 4a to 4c and name it Port1, Port2, Port3, Port4 and Port5.

So, give it a try, i hope it works also at your side, not only just for me! I am disable LPM from now directly on any new installation!

Kind Regards
Zoorki

At the end - here are the text what Intel says about LMP in the Rapid Storage since Version 10:

Link Power Management with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology implements the Link power management (LPM) feature described by the Serial ATA specification to overcome the power demand of a high-speed serial interface, SATA and providing the capability of SATA at the minimum power cost. LPM, when used in conjunction with a SATA hard drive that supports this feature, enables lower power consumption. LPM was initially enabled by default on mobile platforms starting with ICH6M with Intel® Matrix Storage Manager. Starting with ICH9R this feature has also been supported on desktop platforms with Intel® Matrix Storage Manager 7.5 release but not enabled by default. Beginning with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 10.0 release, LPM support is enabled by default on both mobile and desktop platforms. OEM’s who wish to modify the default settings for LPM on their platforms can follow the instructions in the following section(s).

Instructions to disable/enable LPM

After system is setup with OS and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology installed, follow the below instructions to modify the default LPM support.

NOTE: Beginning with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 10.0 release, the registry keys are no longer populated in the Windows registry by default. The RST driver does not require the registry keys to be present to support the default settings.

1. Go to Start->Run
2. Type in RegEdit and hit the Enter Key.
3. Go to the below mentioned location to insert or configure the registry keys for LPM
NOTE: OEM’s need to configure the LPM settings by port. Ports are numbered starting with zero (please refer the desired platform EDS for the number of ports supported on that platform)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\iaStor\Parame
ters\Port0\
ters\Port1\

ters\Port5\

4. Now add the following registry keys under the registry location mentioned in step3, if they are not available (These registry keys are not available by default, they can be added by using utomated scripts, .reg files, executable utilities, etc). If you find the below registry keys already available, you can modify the values for desired support. Values are modified on a port by port basis so modify all ports that you wish the changes to be supported on. **

“LPM”=dword: 00000001 {dword: 00000000->Disable; dword: 00000001->Enable} [default = Enabled]
“LPMSTATE”=dword: 00000000 {dword: 00000000->Partial; dword: 00000001->Slumber} [default = Disabled] (Note: the driver ignores this key when the LPM key’svalue is not set to 1. So when LPM value is 0, this value is N/A.)
“LPMDSTATE”=dword: 00000001 {dword: 00000000->Partial; dword: 00000001->Slumber} [default = Enabled]
“DIPM”=dword: 00000001 {dword: 00000000->Disable; dword: 00000001->Enable} [default = Enabled]

**Warning: If you edit the registry incorrectly, you can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Intel does not guarantee that problems that are caused by editing the Registry incorrectly can be resolved.

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

Re: Solution: C300 Disk Freeze-ups in Windows 7 solved for me

in reply to Zoork

Thanks for posting your findings and fixes for others!

I'll copy a link to this fix into the main problem thread.

I still wonder why this does not affect everyone though?   I do not have this issue on X58 or P67 with any of the three C300's I have?

Binary Boss
Techland

[ Edited ]
in reply to lsdmeasasp

One addition to the first post: if you have a notebook then LPM is enabled in any case, even when using older Intel drivers. So the reg entries will exist either way. (Zoork mentioned this on a german forum, thanks).

To go back to the original state of your registry then the way is not to delete the reg entries, but to change them to the former state, which means 00000001 for LPM, LPMDSTATE and DIPM. It shouldn't make a difference as it is the default state, but just to be sure.

On my system, a Dell notebook with ICH9, LPM seems to work (or at least causes no problem), as my AS SSD reading of 530 stayed unchanged when disabling LPM.

Binary Boss
Zoork

[ Edited ]
in reply to lsdmeasasp

Thanks! I have forgot to say, that this issue with the freeze-ups only happened when i connected the C300 to the SATA 6G-Port on Intel P67. When i connect it to 3G-Ports or use the Marvel 6G or use the ICH10R on my second X58 i dont have problems with this kind of freeze-up and i dont need the fix to disable LPM. So i think the C300 have problems with LPM running on the 6G-Mode on the new 6G Intel-Ports. Perhaps it depends also on the rest of the system, that this freeze-ups comes.   

Edit: With LPM disabled i have benchresults like never before, see the picture! For this bench i set LPM in the registry to disabeld, i use Asus P8P67 Evo and the Intel Rapid-​Storage driver Version 10.​1.​0.​1008, Win 7 64 Bit.

C300-LPMoff.JPG

Memory Leak Geek
ilios

in reply to Zoork

Hello,

Thanks for that but,

I have a Gigabyte x58a-ud7, my drive c300 256GB 0006 is connected to Marvell 6G-Port, all firmware and driver up to date but a lot a freeze with Win 7 x64.

What do you about this issue ?

What i have to do ?

Sincerely yours 

Memory Leak Geek
Rogero

[ Edited ]
in reply to ilios

Thanks for trying, [Edited per Guidelines: Be relevant.]

Kilobyte Kid
Darkphalanx

in reply to Rogero

Hey,

I have a ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME and the SSD C300 is on a 6Gb/s Port from the Asus AU3S6.

I have the freezer to! :smileymad:

regards from germany

Binary Boss
Zoork

in reply to Darkphalanx

Hm, i dont have a solution with the Marvel 6G, because i dont use this controller. The Marvel chip is bad in 4K reading and writing, so i never use this **bleep** Marvel. On my second system i use a Asus P6x58-E, in this system i also have  64GB C300, but i connected it to the ICH10R, the performanz is better than the marvel one.

Greetings 

Kilobyte Kid
Darkphalanx

in reply to Zoork

I have this freezer when i use the internal board port too!

Im not the only one, also whats wrong with the C300?

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to Darkphalanx

To all, I agree with the above, please don't use the Marvell 6Gb/s on X58 or P55 boards as it is very unstable and the Intel will give better results anyway.

Our Latest Posts