Something writing/rewriting on my Crucial MX200 240GB (repost)

Bit Baby

Something writing/rewriting on my Crucial MX200 240GB (repost)

Hey there

I do own two year old Crucial MX200 240GB in one of my computers. Bought fresh new and boxed. I barely use it, turn it on maybe like once per month. No games, no torrents, no movies nor other downloads and mainly an office machine. Almost no browsing neither. There's Windows 7 x64 there, with hibernation options turned off and paging file is automatically managed. There was never any Windows reinstall there neither. Now here are some stats coming from Crucial software:

Power-On Hours: 196
Power-Cycle Count: 723
Cumulative Host Write Sector Count: 2809281560 (512 Byte Sectors)

Total Bytes Written: 1.44TB

What is wrong?

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Something writing/rewriting on my Crucial MX200 240GB (repost)

Hey hemlatuyda,

Are we talking about MX200 250GB? I think it's two-year-old model so the power cycle count is rather high for turning it on like once per month. Do you know why is it so high (723 cycles)? 

Taking the numbers into account only it is about 1,85GB per cycle which is not that much imho.

If you would like to dig into this more, I think I have seen two or three systems with broken search indexer. There may be a simple step to fix that, however I would check and verify the host writes before (in order to know if the search indexer fix worked correctly). You can download Hard Disk Sentinel and keep an eye on 'Disk Performance Tab' > there are 'Total Data Write' and 'Average Writes Per Day' that you could monitor. As far as I can remember, the systems with broken search indexer were writing additional 1GB per each hour, even when system was idle displaying desktop only.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby

Windows Seach Indexer is off.

Highlighted
Community Manager

@hemlatuyda I would suggest monitoring the disk usuage as Bogdan has suggested. It definitely sounds like something is running in the background that you may not be aware of. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?