Two new MX500 not recognised in bios or disk management.

Bit Baby

Two new MX500 not recognised in bios or disk management.

I'm desparate for help after days of trying everything and I'd really appreciate any advice.. I bought a 2TB MX500 which I had hoped to replace my HDD which was objecting a bit to my new gaming hobby. (I know, at 56, I should have better things to do).

I connected it to initialise it in Windows Disk Management and it wasn't visible. I checked bios and it wasn't showing there either. Connected it with a SATA>USB cable and it showed up in file manager as "no media". 

I replaced both the SATA and power cable, but that didn't help. Neither did trying the other 8 SATA sockets on the motherboard.

I tried the Power Cycle routine several times and it made no difference. Your system scanner had showed that the MX500 was a suitable upgrade for my motherboard, so I knew the mobo wasn't to blame. Feeling really deflated, I returned it to Amazon for a replacement. 

When it arrived, I connected it again to initialise it, and blow me, the new one wasn't recognused either. I went through all of the above again, to no avail. Surely I can't be unlucky enough to get 2 SSD's DOA?

All drivers, sytem-wide have been checked including the mobo bios.

All SATA ports are set to AHCI.

There is no firmware update available for the MX500.

Please can someone get this old fart's new-found hobby back on track? SWhat can I do now?

Wundows 10 Home

GA-X79-UP4 motherboard.

Intel Core i7

GeForce GTX1060 6GB

32GB Crucial DDR3 RAM

Kind regards,

Stewart McGuire.

2 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Two new MX500 not recognised in bios or disk management.

Your motherboard has multiple revisions and it seems to have a mix of SATA II & SATA III connectors.  Also it appears there are two different SATA controllers.  SATA ports 0 and 1 are using one controller and SATA ports 6-9 are on the 2nd controller (The ones I listed are SATA III).   Is the SATA controller the MX500 is connected actually enabled in the BIOS (some systems allow each one to be individually disabled)?   Is there another interface to access settings for the SATA controller outside of the main BIOS screen?  Is RAID disabled on the controller which the MX500 is connected?   eSATA on the back is also SATA III.

Does Event Viewer show any errors for the MX500?

When trying the MX500 using USB, you will probably still need to go into Disk Management in order to see the blank drive and initialize it.  Some USB to SATA adapters/docks/enclosures are not always reliable or compatible.   Also try a USB 2 only port as USB 3 can sometimes cause problems.

Do you have access to another computer to test the SSD (even just using the USB adapter)?   If this does not work, I would purchase a newer USB to SATA Adapter and try again.  

Was the SSD brand new?  If it was a new return item, perhaps it has been locked and needs a PSID revert using Crucial Storage Executive (must be done while the SSD is connected to an internal SATA controller or eSATA).

I'm wondering if  your motherboard can support a 2TB drive.   A lot of older controllers cannot support drives over 2TB.   Same could be true for your USB adapter if it is an older one.

It would be really strange for you to have received two defective SSDs and testing it with another newer computer and adapter is the best way to be sure.

JEDEC Jedi

Re: Two new MX500 not recognised in bios or disk management.

@HWTech wrote:

When trying the MX500 using USB, you will probably still need to go into Disk Management in order to see the blank drive and initialize it.  Some USB to SATA adapters/docks/enclosures are not always reliable or compatible.   Also try a USB 2 only port as USB 3 can sometimes cause problems.

Do you have access to another computer to test the SSD (even just using the USB adapter)?   If this does not work, I would purchase a newer USB to SATA Adapter and try again.  

Personally I tend to avoid connecting SSDs with simple SATA>USB cables/adapters. Imho they are not designed to provide proper power supply for many SSDs, large ones in particular. Note the max power draw of MX500 2TB is 1.7A which is way above standard USB 3.0 specs.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!