Unreadable RAW condition

Kilobyte Kid

Unreadable RAW condition

I have been successfully running my MX100 480 GB as my C: drive in Win 7. Upgraded to newer Intel I5 desktop with Win10. Mounted the MX100 in a USB3 enclosure. Planned on copying data files to new SSD, but the MX100 became unreadable, though recognized by Win10. 

In Disk Management it appears as RAW. I have been able to recover my data files (thank goodness) with special software, but I cannot seem to initialize and format. I'm assuming the MBR is corrupted, but if it is recognizable shouldn't it be possible to 'rebuild' and use again? Any ideas would be appreciated. 

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Unreadable RAW condition

Did you try to reconnect the drive back through internal SATA connection?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you, I was finally able to hook it up internally in my desktop. However, same issues. Disk Management see the drive with a healthy primary partitition, but will not let me format or otherwise alter it. Its condition remains RAW. Is it time to contact Crucial? 

JEDEC Jedi

You are right it should be possible to format the drive and use it again.

I have never encountered locked drive but I would check the drive attributes since some locks could possibly be removed with diskpart -> see here. You have to list your disks and select the one that is your MX100.

You can also try to sanitize the drive before getting in touch with crucial support. Sanitize can be done with Storage Executive tool (or ATA secure erase it with Parted Magic Download@MajorGeeks location, there is a nice video tutorial).

Bit Baby

I too am upgrading my 2 primary laptop HD with SSD

I have the exact same issue RAW drive , with a new 2TB mx300. Sanitize via the app did not resolve the issue . Can't use the disk but I can see it in Windows disk manager and explorer . 

feeling very disapointed , I used another ssd brand for my work computer and the whole upgrade was flawless .  Any suggestions? I feel like the drive is faulty ?

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Zenboy wrote:

Can't use the disk but I can see it in Windows disk manager and explorer . 

Have you initialized the drive in disk management? New drives come uninitialized and should be initialized and partitioned before use. I think however, that new drive should be listed in disk management as 'Not Initialized / Unallocated' rather than 'RAW' Smiley Indifferent