09-27-2017 02:48 AM
I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro (13 inch), which I upgraded with a Crucial BX100 SSD (identified in macOS as
When trying to upgrade to the latest version of macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), the upgrades fails complaining about a firmware validation error. Upon looking in the log file for the install, it becomes clear that the upgrade fails at the point when the SSD drive is being checked for compatibility with the new APFS file system.
As soon as the check fails, the OS aborts the install.
Does anyone know anyway I can get High Sierra to install or whether there is a firmware update to the SSD that will allow it to work? My MacBook is a supported model and it's failing due to the Crucial SSD drive. Without High Sierra I won't be able to get the latest security updates and it will prematurely force retirement of a perfectly working laptop.
09-29-2017 02:41 AM
Finally got macOS 10.13 to install, but it's not easy.
Total time to install - approx 6 hours due to all the cloning to an external USB 2.0 drive.
Doing this meant the High Sierra installer doesn't do the firmware check on the internal SSD drive and fail. But I can format the SSD as APFS from within 10.13 and then clone back to it which seems to be working perfectly.
Not exactly happy that I have to do this on what was sold as a '100% compatible' drive, but at least I have it working.
10-05-2017 07:06 AM
I was reading the plight of customers using OWC's Aura SSDs who are experiencing similar issues. One idea is to install High Sierra without converting your (Crucial) SSD to APFS (leaving it as HFS+). You can do this in Terminal...just Google "Installing High Sierra without converting to APFS" and there are several articles that will give you instructions on how to do this. I do not know if this will guarantee a successful installation of HS, because the nature of the problem has not been disclosed by Apple or any third-party SSD vendors to my knowledge.
Another idea is to hold off on updating to High Sierra until either Crucial releases a firmware update, if necessary, or Apple fixes the bug in a future update to High Sierra.
If staying with Sierra is your remaining option, I would not worry, as Apple will continue to issue Security Updates for at least another 12 to 18 months, possibly longer. As a matter of fact, Apple just released security updates for El Capitan and Yosemite back on July 19th of this year (macOS Sierra 10.12.6, Security Update 2017-003 El Capitan, and Security Update 2017-003 Yosemite).
If it's any consolation, I have a Crucial MX300 in my Late 2011 MacBook Pro and I am waiting on all of this to sort itself out before I attempt to update to High Sierra.