Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
T197S
Accepted Solution

V4 SSD drive slower than HDD

I recently ordered an M4 SSD drive for my Acer Aspire laptop. I spent the several hours making a clone of my existing disk only to find that the laptop wouldn't boot from the SSD drive. It wouldn't even go into the BIOS setup with the SSD drive installed. I tried several things including re copying the disk image, creating a blank boot disk but I couldn't even get the laptop to boot from DVD or CD with the SSD drive in the laptop.

I eventually called customer services who were very helpful and decided that it was faulty and told me I should have got the V4 rather than the M4, even though it was the M4 that the website suggested was the best model for me. So I shipped the M4 back and they sent me a V4 replacement.

The V4 arrived and after using the copy function to move everything over to the SSD drive I installed it as the boot device and it booted ok.

Only problem is that it is horribly slow. From the start it was not noticeably quicker than my old HDD and if I copy a substantial amount of files around then it grinds to a halt for hours. I have checked some of the other threads on here and made sure that the drive does not power down ever but no matter what I do I find the performance to be no better than the HDD that the drive replaced and is very often much much worse.

Is it likely that this drive is also faulty or is it simply that the V4 drive is just not as good as a regular HDD?

I have already wasted a lot of time trying to get one of these devices working so it is very disappointing that even when I do get a drive to work the performance is very poor.

I would appreciate some advice. Is there some magic setting somewhere in Windows that I need to change (other than turning power saving off), or, are the V4 drives really as bad as some people make them out to be?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tim.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

Re: V4 SSD drive slower than HDD

in reply to T197S

I don't believe that V4 is a bad drive, it should be superior to a regular hdd not only in transfer speeds but in iops and access time too.

What version of Windows did you clone to it? What software did you use to clone the drive? Did you try to update your laptop's bios?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
T197S

in reply to bogdan

It is windows 7 Ultimate. I used the Apriconr cloning software that came with the bundle and- according to Acer- I have the latest BIOS version.

Does crucial provide a utility that can check the performance is what it should be?

It seems to run ok for a bit until I start to move large files around. After doing a few big copies, the whol system starts to crawl and the HDD light stays on for a very long time.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to T197S

Drive benchmarking utilities are created by third parties rather than the drive manufacturers.  You can use whichever you prefer though http://alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?download_id=9 tends to get used as it shows useful diagnostic info for SSD's

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

Okay, what I would do is that I would try to put some more information here on the forum. You can use AS SSD Benchmark from the link above and put test results here - there is a menu "File -> Screenshot" option for that. It generates the screenshot file that you can upload here.

Also you could use CrystalDiskInfo utility software and copy/paste/screenshot S.M.A.R.T. data of your drive here - you can use menu "Edit -> Copy" option for that.

Kilobyte Kid
g3n3parmesan

[ Edited ]
in reply to T197S

I would avoid using cloning software as that can leave you with misaligned partition.  Use a Windows 7 disk to install the OS and have Windows setup take care of the alignment and partitoning.  If you still have bad performance after that, it's more probable that you are having problems with the drive.  I have had hit-or-miss experiences with the V4 models (I believe they are using older memory/controllers)  ***Edit to remove Crucial competitor***and here are some other folks having similar problems: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Crucial-V4-freezes/td-p/105744.

Kilobyte Kid
T197S

in reply to bogdan

Here (I hope) are the results of the first Benchmark I have run.

AS SSD Benchmark 1.6.4237.30508
------------------------------
Name: V4-CT256V4SSD2 ATA Device
Firmware: S5FAMM22
Controller: msahci
Offset: 12828672 K - OK
Size: 238.47 GB
Date: 11/10/2012 12:23:31
Sequential:
Read: 34.03 MB/s
Write: 23.88 MB/s
4K:
Read: 6.73 MB/s
Write: 0.28 MB/s
4K-64Threads:
Read: 3.52 MB/s
Write: 0.43 MB/s
Access Times:
Read: 0.657 ms
Write: 1.213 ms
Score:
Read: 14
Write: 3
Total: 26

as-ssd-bench V4-CT256V4SSD2 A 11.10.2012 12-23-20.png

I will try to run the Crystal one and post the results here as well.

I have looked at a couple of the other threads and these results don't look too good to me.

Kilobyte Kid
T197S

in reply to T197S

Results from Crystal Disk;

CrystalDiskMarkResults.png

Binary Boss
gazzatopdude

in reply to T197S

I have an ASUS x58l with windows 7

Crucial list the m4 and V4 as both compatible

the laptop is pre-2011 so does that mean i can only buy the V4?

Why does crucial list 2 models for my Asus x58l

i am having trouble believing the "guaranteed compatible " statements

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to gazzatopdude

Both are just sata drives and due to the fact that sata speeds are backwards and forwards compatible I'd buy the M4 for future proofing even if you only have sata 2 if it were me.

Our Latest Posts