Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Baby
JustinH
Accepted Solution

Which One, For Goodness Sake!?!

Got a standard PC and will need to buy a new drive shortly.  Considering SSD and Crucial particularly.

My motherboard is an ASUS P5QL Pro, with SATA, as ever.  I only need 125gb for this, but will fit more if I have to.

Can someone recommend a Crucial SSD which will just replace the ordinary drive, and plug in with the same plugs?

Can users please explain what the life expectancy is?  I hear they don't last long. I expect to install the software I use then defrag once, leaving it at that.

Cheers...  Justin

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Which One, For Goodness Sake!?!

in reply to JustinH

You'd want a 2.5" 240GB M500

Note that whilst the connections are the same, it's physically smaller than a normal desktop drive (which is 3.5") so you may want a 3.5" to 2.5" bay adapter

The life expectancy of mine last time I checked was 50 years based on it being on 16 hours a day, 365 days a year.  You probably got the short life expectancy idea from older tech SSD's?

There's absolutely no need to defrag them even once.  It doesn't make logical sense to do so when you know how the data is stored on the drives and nor when you consider the reason for defragging is to counter long seek times on HDD's and SSD's don't have long seek times.  Also, I don't think Windows 7 and above would even let you unless you used third party software. Windows 8 would just do a free space trim.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Dual Channel Surfer
alex486

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

Just to add to what targetbsp wrote. You should never defrag an SSD.

The NAND cells of an SSD have a limited number of write cycles and the SSD firmware implements something called wear leveling to ensure that the write cycles are evenly distributed across the NAND cells and helps prevent any single NAND cell suffering a huge amount of wear due to a file that is constantly updated (for example).

Using defrag causes extra write cycles which are undesirable.

More info here:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/Does-defragmenting-an-SSD-cause-any-lon...

Bit Baby
JustinH

in reply to targetbsp

Thank you, very much.  I will go look into it.

Justin

Bit Baby
JustinH

in reply to alex486

Thanks, man.  I am going to buy when one I can and I will not defrag it, ever..... :smileyhappy:

Bit Baby
JustinH

in reply to JustinH

OK, so what is 'firmware' and Trim support?

Normally one just puts the disk in an loads the OS, but is there extra software to be loaded before you put Win7 into it?  Or stuff to be downloaded later?

Justin

Dual Channel Surfer
alex486

[ Edited ]
in reply to JustinH

TRIM support is in the operating system and is included in Windows 7 and Windows 8.

The operating system sends the TRIM command to the SSD and the SSD cleans up the unused cells.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

The firmware is running in the SSD itself... it has it's own little CPU to take care of internel stuff (like TRIM) and in most cases you don't need to worry about it. Hard disks have firmware too.

Binary Boss
kevpan815

in reply to JustinH
I have a question based on what Justin was talking about regarding Defrag: Before I replaced my 128 GB M4 with 070H Firmware with a 120 GB M500, Defrag was Automatically Disabled in Win 8, now with the M500, Defrag is no longer automatically Disabled. Is that a Bug with the M500?
2.5 inch M4 Solid State Drive with 070H Firmware and 2.5 inch M500 Solid State Drive with MU02 Firmware.
JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]
in reply to kevpan815

In Windows 8 you should be seeing drive optimization (it runs TRIM command on the drive) rather than drive defragmentation. You should see someting like that:

(C:)   Solid State Drive   Never run   Needs optimization

This should be enabled and available for your ssd and if it was disabled for your M4 I would probably say that one was a bug.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby
JustinH

in reply to JustinH

Thank you Alex and Kevpan.

This sort of thing puts me off but you have calmed my fears.  I will change to SSD's when I can afford to do so.

One thing does arise though, if I am editing video there is a lot of downloading from camera to disk, messing with it in Video Studio then saving it in it's finished format.  This involves much deleting of raw video and moving stuff around.  Does this affect SSD's?  If I delete files and the space gets overwritten in time does this not damage them?

Cheers, Justin

Our Latest Posts