Why do i need AHCI with a SSD Drive (Guide Here!) Crucial AHCI vs IDE

JEDEC Jedi

Re: Why do i need AHCI with a SSD Drive (Guide Here!) Crucial AHCI vs IDE

If you apply the registry change to add AHCI support to your Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Then you can just change your bios back and forth and try it yourself. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I stand corrected! Just tried AHCI myself and here are my new numbers

Old IDE numbers

206.43, 139.74

21.65, 47.07

23.41, 76.22

0.099, 0.082

66, 137

New AHCI numbers

487.14, 136.53

22.06, 54.93

246.24, 104.01

0.099, 0.076

317, 173

I guess the numbers speak for themselves. **bleep**, and I almost didn't try it! Holy Moly I guess I've graduated to AHCI!

I7 3770K @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 (2x8) Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 770, Acer P236H, Sound Blaster Z, Crucial M500 (120 GB) SSD, WD 2 TB Black, WD 1 TB Black, WD 2 TB Black (eSata), 2 DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Rosewill Photon 750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 10 Pro x64
Bit Baby

Nice post here. AHCI can be used for windows operating system right? While IDE for customized operatig system only.

If you want to learn more about the difference between ahci vs ide click on the link now.
Bit Baby

What types of SSD M.2 that support ACHI and how to know?

DRC
Kilobyte Kid

Regarding IDE vs AHCI, all I seem to see are benchmark results, and I'm much more concerned about real world, everyday use and performance. Numbers are numbers, but the real world is the real world. When I got my first SSD last year, a Crucial MX300 525GB, I cloned my aging WD 500GB HDD with Win 7 Pro-64 bit OS to the SSD and at the time wasn't aware of AHCI. So, I've been running the SSD in IDE mode on my ASUS P5Q Pro (SATA II) mobo for the past year in my graphic design business, and boot times went from 2+ minutes with the HDD to 15 sec with the SSD. All programs open either instantaneously or within a few seconds, and opening/saving large graphic files is extremely fast. The Crucial is still going strong. However, since the aging HDD was developing C5 Current Pending Sector Count issues and couldn't be trusted as a backup, and being aware that any SSD can **bleep** the dust unexpectedly, I've since added a ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor*** SSD, to which I cloned the Crucial main drive so I will have a mirrored backup should the main drive fail. Both have Trim enabled and working, and although the ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor***  produces noticebly better benchmarks in Crystal Disk and AS SSD, in my everyday applications and use, there is absolutely no perceptible difference in performance. Both are extremely fast, with equally fast boot times and overall performance.

So, my question is, for those who have gone from IDE to AHCI on the same SSD, do you truly see a noticeable improvement in performance in everyday use? I have no need to hot swap drives and if switching to AHCI imporves boot time by maybe one second (big deal), and it would be difficult to improve on programs already opening instantaneously or within a few seconds, how could AHCI make everyday real world computing SO much faster than I'm already experiencing to warrant it? Am I missing something here?

JEDEC Jedi

I don't think you'll see a noticeable difference in most home user scenarios.  Nothing like the initital boost you get going from HDD to SSD.  It mostly aids multitasking (for want of a better word) drive access.  It would be very beneficial if you were a multi-user database server for instance.

I think the main thing is that there's generally no good reason not to have it on.

Want to be a Super User?
DRC
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks targetbsp. I've read a few reports of users experiencing various issues after switching from IDE to AHCI in Win 7, 8, and 10, such as lagging or some programs, CD drives not workng properly, so switched back. Any thoughts? Compatibility issues? I'm not running a multi-user database server and as long as Trim is enabled and working, and my system is extremely fast with no issues anywhere in my everyday use, I guess I'm still in the camp of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'!

JEDEC Jedi

AHCI shouldn't cause a problem in itself.  However, the drivers can do on select systems.  In the vast majority of cases, the stock Microsoft AHCI driver and your chipset manufacturers driver will simply work.  But only in most cases!  Selected systems may find either the chipset or MS driver works better and in the case of the chipset driver - even the version can matter.

Want to be a Super User?