Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
Freeco
Accepted Solution

Win8 hangs right after boot

I'm not sure at all if this is related to my M4 128GB SSD, but just checking here if this sounds familiar to anyone.

It's been going on for a couple of weeks now. It first it was rare, but now it happens more than not.

Symptoms:

I boot my desktop, login on the Win8 login screen, and the computer freezes immediatelly after reaching the desktop. Sometimes it takes a short while to freeze, but it's within 1 or 2 minutes.

It occurs that the computer resumes after a couple of minutes, but most of the times I need to hit the reset button.

That boot will take a couple of minutes. I think the SSD is running some recovery processes. After that all seems fine. But next cold boot it'll just start all over again.

I've got the feeling that this is either related to the SSD or to the SATA chipset/drivers. But I wouldn't know how to troubleshoot this.

2 days ago I've done some driver upgrades, but that didn't seem to help:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID driver from 11.7 to 12.5

Intel Chipset Device Software from 9.3.0.1026 tot 9.4.0.1017

BIOS upgrade from 0903 to 1101

Realtek NIC driver from 8.7.1025.2012 to 8.12.304.2013
Intel HD Graphic drivers were already at latest 15.31.3.64.3071

Specs:

Win8 Pro x64

Crucial M4 128GB with 070H firmware (AHCI)

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM

Asus P8H77-M

Intel Core i5-3550 at stock speed

4x4GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz

Sound familiar to anyone?

Or anyone some good tips to troubleshoot deeper?

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

Re: Win8 hangs right after boot

in reply to Freeco

Sounds a bit like some power options incompatibility perhaps. At first I would check system event viewer for this particular error or for any other errors that could be time related to the freezes.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
Freeco

in reply to bogdan

hmm, no obvious critical events in the logs, but this warning stands out for me:

Event 219

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_GENERIC-&PROD_USB3.0_CRW-SD#MS&REV_1.00#201006010301&4#.

That's my internal USB3 card reader. Back when I was running Win7 on this desktop the card reader didn't work too well. I got system sounds like the device was unplugged, plugged back, unplugged again, etc.

Since I moved to Win8 early this year I didn't have this anymore, so I'd written this off as lousy USB3 support under Win7. I needed to install Intel xHCI drivers, and with every update it got a little better, but still not 100%.

Under Win8 these drivers are not required.

But it might not be that after all...

I'm going to unplug the card reader for a couple of days, and see if my system is stable then.

Kilobyte Kid
Freeco

[ Edited ]
in reply to Freeco

Well, so far so good... After unplugging my internal USB3 card reader my desktop hasn't had any more troubles.

I guess one of these days I'll have to invest in an external reader that I can connect when I need it.

edit May 9th: well, still no 100% stability after all. Half an hour ago my desktop locked up again. This time there's nothing out of the ordinary in the App or System logs, so that's puzzling...

Our Latest Posts