Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
mjarends

Windows 8.1 - Asus Q501LA - m500 240 gb drive

I have installed my recently purchased m500 240 gb drive into my Asus Q501LA laptop and am struggling to get Windows 8.1 installed and running on it. I have attempted the following steps to get the laptop with the m500 drive updated to Windows 8.1:

• Cloned the original HDD to the SSD to using both EaseUs and Macrium Reflect. Both attempts resulted in the drive failing with a BSOD (I believe the error was INVALID_BOOT_DEVICE).
  • I have clean installed Windows 8 (which works) and then attempted to upgrade to Windows 8.1 from the Windows store. This always results in the update failing and the install being rolled back.
  • Lastly I have tried to clean install Windows 8.1. When I attempt this the clean install fails to find the drive and requires that I load storage drivers so that the drive can be recognized. I have used the recommended drivers from Asus's web site (Intel RST 12.8 drivers) and the install process still fails to find the drive after the drivers are loaded.

I will also add that the laptop's BIOS is at 209 (latest), the m500 drive is on the M05 driver (latest) and BIOS on the laptop is set to use AHCI (which is the only option). 

At this point I'm really out of ideas on how I can get my laptop updated to Windows 8.1. The Crucial site lists the drive as supported on this laptop although I have read in a couple forum posts today that there are others struggling to get this same drive updated on the Asus Q501LA. Is there anyone in this community that has been to successfully get Windows 8.1 running on this drive?

Thanks - Mitch

Kilobyte Kid
mclaughlinar

Re: Windows 8.1 - Asus Q501LA - m500 240 gb drive

in reply to mjarends

Having the exact same problem on my Asus ux302la, I've tried everything you have, including exchanging the ssd for a new one. I even shelled out $150 to windows for their support. 

At this point I'm planning to return the ssd and buy a different brand, hopefully windows will refund me for the support plan since this never resolved.

Did you ever find a solution, I'm really disappointed that Crucial never responded to this, I love the crucial ssd that i put in my other computer, but at this point I won't be buying one again.

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to mclaughlinar

Hi Mclaughlinar,

I am sorry for the issues that you have experienced. At this point I would recommend calling us directly. We offer free tech support and would be happy to help you trouble shoot. 

Best regards, 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Binary Boss
Asriel

in reply to Crucial_YogiH

I have requested support for ASUS UX302LA issues sevral times - the only useful reply was that it will be reported to copatibility testing lab - don't remember exactly how is it called.     And still no reply what happens. ASUS runs well on M4 but refuse to take m500.  Just not sure if the latest Intel RST driver will fix it or not, just installed it on Asus/M4 today.

Our Latest Posts