Windows update stuck in searching for updates, MX300 ssd

Kilobyte Kid

Windows update stuck in searching for updates, MX300 ssd

I just did a clean windows 8.1 install on a MX300. The updated is stuck in "looking for updates," and I cannot update my PC. I've done the delete the contents of the "Software Distribution folder," windows troubleshooter, the stand alone updater, and the DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, without success. I am at my wits end with this and at the point where I want to send the drive back. Thank you for looking into that.

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Windows update stuck in searching for updates, MX300 ssd

Was this retail media or computer manuufacturer supplied?  Some computer manufacturer supplied media include outdated sata controller drivers which break windows update on advanced format drives.

If Intel, you can get newer drivers here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005

If it's retail media you could still try the above but if no luck you'll likely have more success on a generic Windows help forum since this won't be a hardware issue.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

I have an ASUS A88X motherboard. So what you're saying is that I should return the hard drive if I can't find an update?

JEDEC Jedi

Where did I say that?

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Amd 8 series board?  Looks like your sata drivers are part of the 'legacy' drive pack: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy4&os=Windows%208.1%20-%2064

(I'm assuming you are using x64 Windows)

Kilobyte Kid

I didn't mean to snap at you. I apologize, and I appreciate your help. This has been driving me crazy for two days now. I did install those drivers but to no avail. I do not know what I am going to do at this point. This seems to be a common problem and its going to proliferate as SSD's become a ubiquitous item. I'll keep looking for a solution for another week or two and then I am sending it back. Once again thanks for your help.

Bit Baby

here i found a solution of windows update stuck at 0 http://www.geekswizard.com/fix-windows-update-stuck-at-0/