Write Cache

Kilobyte Kid

Write Cache

[ Edited ]
I have conflicting information on enabling write caching on my SSD drive and "turning off the Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" in Windows 7 for better performance of the SSD drive. Which is it? Should the write caching on the SSD be checked and the "turning off the Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" be unchecked? Thanks for any clarity on this!

***Edit to remove link***

8 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Write Cache

Top box ticked.

Bottom box as it says in the description - on or off depending on whether or not you have battery backup (a laptop or a desktop with UPS)

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I have a UPS for my desktop so I guess top one ticked bottom one not. This is what I originally had done but read some conflicting info.
Thanks Robot Happy

Binary Boss

UPS aside, has anyone nailed down whether checking the second box increases performance, decreases it (severely, in the case of Intel), or is a wash?

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

a wash, though some ssd controllers may slightly benefit from it being checked. to see what it does, you might want to try it enabled, bench, then disabled, bench. in the old days, hdd/parity arrays could somewhat benefit from it, but for most these days, making sure the writeback is checked is all that is needed.

bw
Binary Boss

I think it depends from controller or cache options if is enabled RAID. If cache options are disabled in RAID BIOS then system cache should give some performance boost but if you already have write back or other option enabled in controller then better is to disable system cache. In AHCI enabling system cache should give better results.At least it works like that for me on 2x M4 in RAID0 and from time to time in AHCI.

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

if you disable caching, you disable performance. cache option should always be on, unless you like less performance. i have used both checked, and have noticed no improvement when the botttom box is checked (cache flushing). some drives using compression, or hdd arrays may get a boost from disabling flushing, but i don't.

Bit Baby

[ Edited ]

It is years later and with the latest version of Crucial Storage Executive and Windows 2012 Server R2 without UPS and, I still get the confusing advices from either of the 2.

What is the advice really!?

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

I don't think the advice on this has ever changed?

Top box ticked (for performance)

bottom box unticked (for data safety)

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?