laptop hard drive to SSD

SOLVED
TDD
Kilobyte Kid

laptop hard drive to SSD

I have an HP Pavilion dv6400 laptop on which I would like to instal an SSD in place of the 120GB hard drive.  The Crucial website has confused me as to which SSD is the one for me. I still run with Vista home premium which is fine for now but will move to Win8 if this mod is cost effective and, more importantly,works and gives the much hyped speed boost.  I am not encouraged by the SSD problems I see on this forum so would need convincing that this a good move.  Any help will be welcomed.

7 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: laptop hard drive to SSD

You would want the m4.  It's faster even if you don't have sata 3 and there's not much in the price between it and the v4 last i checked.

Those are the only 2 drives (in various sizes).  Any other different suggestions the site is suggesting to you are the same drive with different accessory kits.

As for problems, that's kind of the point of this part of the site so that's mostly what you will see here I'm afraid!  Maybe worth a look in the 'as ssd benchmark' thread?  They're mostly showing their fast speeds and are presumably problem free.  But the majority of people won't ever come here, they'll plug their drive in and it'll work and they'll be somewhere else. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Binary Boss

IMHO the move to an SSD would cost good money for a bad purpose: your core 2 Duo CPU is too slow to benefit from that fine SDD. You may gain a few seconds while booting, however you will not see any great speed advantage with other activities. Having money to spend it is certainly worth the experience, ...

On an Intel I7-2860 I had to disable 4 CPU threads with an HDD as I had queues on disk reading. Changing to SDD M4 I had to open the disabled hyperthreads to reduce SDD idle time waiting for CPU time.

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

I only have a Core2Duo (though, the desktop version).  The SSD annhiliates my high speed hard drives. Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?
TDD
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for your sensible reply, it eases my mind somewhat.

Regards,   TDD

TDD
Kilobyte Kid

This sound like good advice to me, given the cost of my improvement against the cost of a new laptop.  Thanks.

Regards,   TDD

Bit Baby

[ Edited ]

What about external hard drives than SSD ?

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello webrador3,

Thank you for your question.

Can you confirm what you mean?  Are you looking to use an external HDD?  I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have.  I was just unsure what the question was.  If you do have any other questions, please just let me know. 

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

Want to be a Super User?