low 4K-64Thrd with AS SSD

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Re: low 4K-64Thrd with AS SSD

as ssd really uses the higher 4k Qdepth writes to form its results, writes which can go down over a period of time do to a 'steady state' the ssd reaches with an OS on it. things that can affect your outcome for ssds that contain an OS for some time, in a good way, are keeping a portion of available free nand blocks for GC/maintenance, along with setting your OS power profile to a 'performance' mode, i.e. not allowing the ssd to power down while you are using the system, and storing static data (pictures, movies, music, rarely accessed data) on another ssd/hdd/usb flash drive, leaving some nand for those free blocks. ideally, using your ssd for OS and games, and keeping that bulk of static storage on another medium will keep your target ssd that much more of a performer.
Highlighted
Binary Boss

Well, the problem we are having with Crucial SSDs are not normal as you describe. You can confirm this by comparing to other SSDs.

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Thanks folks for your replies. After consulting with my local supplier they've kindly agreed to RMA mine, I'll let you know how it goes altho I won't be able to return it until @ least the 20/2 almost 1 week from now. Mmm & that assume that are able to complete a test while I wait I'm 70 mile both ways from my supplier but enjoy taking a good nosey round while I'm there Smiley Happy It's like looking round wonderland to me Smiley Very Happy

Binary Boss

Hi guys! I have some problem! Week ago I found that I have some random weird micro-stuttering (for half second of less) when I watch youtube and movies and play some games. I deciced to check performance using AS SSD benchmark and found this:

2013-02-25_205055.jpg

What should I do now? Can I get RMA?

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Nothing in that benchmark is going to cause you the kind of issue you describe.  Though I have to say... I'm not entirely sure what would...

But you're best off starting a new thread to get full attention to your specific problem. Smiley Happy

[edit]

OK lol.  I've just seen your other thread about the warranty.  I don't personally think this is a warranty issue but more likely a software issue (soundcard/ video driver) or possibly dirty drive.  I was more thinking of a thread about diagnosing your problem if you want to.  But if you're going to RMA over the 4k-64thrd thing then it's kind of irrelevant I guess!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Binary Boss

targetbsp

Please help me diagnose what caused this problem.

JEDEC Jedi

I'm afraid I don't really know, other than that I don't think it's the problem this thread is about.  That's why i think a new thread asking for help wih stuttering will be a good idea to get the attention of others.

There was a problem with the C300 firmware that did this but it was fixed and the m4 has never had the problem that I know of.

To take some random guesses:

Try a different sata driver.  If you have an intel chipset based motherboard then try the Intel Rapid Storage drivers.  I like v11.2 myself.

Try trimming the free space, this will do the trick: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/SSD-Tool-free-space-trimmer/m-p/51198

Make sure your power plan in control panel is 'performance' and that CPU power saving features are disabled in the bios

Have you updated any drivers recently?  try rolling them back.

Want to be a Super User?
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

alex, your issue could be related to how your system is handling caching, as in drivers, or software, even malware. out of the many drives i have used, i have yet to see a modern ssd 'stutter' (the only ones i experienced this issue with were the early jmicron controlled ssds, which i used a caching raid card to circumvent most if not all of this controllers shortcomings), and as was pointed out, with a score like you are getting in as ssd, your drive appears to be running in top form Smiley Wink

Binary Boss

Which firmware had that problem?

JEDEC Jedi

kevindd992002 wrote:

Which firmware had that problem?

Which? The C300 stuttering?  Can't remember for sure as it was long ago.  If I had to guess, I would say 0006, and fixed in 0007.

Want to be a Super User?