m4 256 freezes on firmware update

Bit Baby

m4 256 freezes on firmware update

Drive info:

Crucial M4 256GB

Model:M4-CT256M4SSD2

I'd just like to say thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

I have attempted to upgrade my firmware from 000F to 040H.

I downloaded the updater from http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx(selected Crucial m4 2.5-inch SSD from the drop down list) and followed the instructions from http://edge.crucial.com/firmware/m4/040H/Crucial_m4_Firmware_Windows8-Utility_040H.pdf

However during the update the computer became extremely slow.  I left it for 30 mins just in case it was doing something.  After 30 mins I attempted to restart the computer (it took a further 10 mins just to access the restart option on the OS).

The computer booted up ok, however when I went to go and check the firmware version it was showing some strange information.  I have include screenshots of before and after I attempted the firmware update.

I'm now unsure as to what my options are.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

6 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: m4 256 freezes on firmware update

[ Edited ]

This won't help you except to tell you are not alone. I had the exact same experience as you, same ssd, same version, same OS, same attempted formware upgrade:

The following is the same for you and me:

>Drive info:

>Crucial M4 256GB

>Model:M4-CT256M4SSD2

>OS: Windows 8 64bit (desktop)

>I have attempted to upgrade my firmware from 000F to 040H.

Fortunately the SSD still works, but the firmware version is now blank in device manager, and ssdlife program no longer recognizes the drive as an SSD.

(later)

I subsequently tried the boot-from-cd method. The SSD was identified, but with a blank version, so the drive was not identified as a candidate for firmware upgrade. The result of dosmcli --verbose -d:

JEDEC Jedi

I think that some users have been able to solve this kind of issue by reflashing the drive with Manual Boot File CD instead of Windows Updater Application, perhaps in IDE/Compatible mode set in BIOS. So you could probably give it a try keeping in mind that after successful update you have to switch back to former BIOS mode prior booting the OS again.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Bogdan wrote:

> I think that some users have been able to solve this kind of issue by reflashing the drive with Manual Boot File CD

> instead of Windows Updater Application, perhaps in IDE/Compatible mode set in BIOS.

>So you could probably give it a try keeping in mind that after successful update you have to switch back to former BIOS

> mode prior booting the OS again.

Not sure if you were responding to me or the original poster. I tried exactly what you suggested (attempt a manual update from CD), and my previous post in this thread shows a screen dump of the failed result. It wouldn't update because (presumably) the "version" had earlier been scrambled and wasn't recognized, so my SSD wasn't recognized as a candidate for firmware updating.

My M4 worked for a while after the failed attempt(s) at firmware updating, but this morning the SSD wouldn't boot, wasn't recognized, and was basically bricked. I spent the day restoring my SSD backup to a hard drive. I succeeding, so I am running again, albeit more slowly. I will expend a little effort to look for the papaerwork and find out whether or not I can return it.

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Since there was no information did you try to reflash with manual update CD in IDE/Compatible mode or not?

I was actually responding to you and OP :-) Anyway I just found one of the threads with similar issue, you may want to take a look at it here.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Hi all,

I'm having exactly the same problem using:

- Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128 GB

- Windows 8 64-bit

- Firmware 000F -> 070H

I decided to update the firmware since I was experiencing some BSODs lately. I also used the Windows updater and it froze. After an hour of waiting, I did a hard reset because nothing was happening.

Fortunately, my drive still works and Windows boots, but the firmware version number has been scramled to "LT/F".

The Windows updater doesn't recognize the drive anymore, and the bootable updater doesn't want to update it since it's not eligible due to the screwed version number.

Is there any way (a dosmcli.exe command?) to force update it? Should I RMA it?

I'm happy I can still use my computer, but I'd like to be able to update my drive.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Flitskikker

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Same issue except with mine Firmware Revision is ")", has anybody been able to solve this?

here is the output from command dosmcli.exe --verbose -d

(c) 2009,2010 Micron Technology, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
This copyright notice may not be removed, altered or obscured in any way.

** READ ANY SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ACCOMPANYING THIS PROGRAM **

Finding drives...
*** Number of Controllers Found: 2
*** Number of Channels Found: 6
*** Number of Devices Found: 3
Creating Default PRODUCT FAMILY instance: ??
------------------------------------------------------------

Found drive, Index: 0
BusType: ATA/SATA
	SAMSUNG HD204UI                         
	S2K4JD1B311675      
	Firmware Revision 1AQ10001

Micron drive, Index: 1,  CustomerId 
BusType: ATA/SATA
	M4-CT256M4SSD2                          
	000000001144031DC89E
	Firmware Revision )

if I run autoexec.bat it says this drive is not eligible.

Please help