Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Com
Kilobyte Kid
Com

m4 64GB freezes and sometimes device not found in BIOS

Hey all I hope I can get some help on this issue, I'll start with my specs:

Crucial SSD: M4-CT064M4SSD2 (originally with firmware 010g)

other components as per the Crucial Scan (is it normal my crucial drive is not recognized there?)

Build date: November 2011

(mobo and its components have drivers and BIOS to the version that came with the shipping, windows might have automatically updated some drivers, but the BIOS is still the same)

Everything ran flawlessly for at least 1.5 years if not more. Starting in May 2013 I have started noticing some hard freezes.

To explain as best as I can, especially if I have Chrome open (and had it open for hours, closing and opening new tabs but rarely with more than 6 tabs open at the same time) the computer would slow down and then freeze to the point of requiring a manual power down or reset.
The slowdown can best be described as the cursor starting to struggle following mouse movement, freezing for some seconds and then hopping to the new destination, then failing to change icon depending on the context it is hovering. Chrome becomes unresponsive right away, other applications (Windows bar, for example), respond for the first 5 seconds or so then also freeze (this is when the total freeze happens).
Keyboard's LCD screen follows the same pattern as the windows bar in this occasion (works at first then hangs when the whole system freezes).
Sometimes this has also happened with Firefox open in a similar fashion (although I use it a lot less, I use firefox for Uni research and chrome for social networking and personal stuff)
Once it also happened with no browser open (although I had closed Chrome less than 30s before the freeze).

There is no specific pattern to these events, sometimes they happen 2-3 times a day (rarely just once), then they won't happen for days or weeks, then maybe 2-3 days in a row.

I ran disk integrity checks (chkdisk with various options as well as an SSD diagnostic tool of which I have unfortunately forgot the name), as well as full virus scans (AVG Free), and Malware scans with different Anti-Malware tools (Spybot S&D, and a few others).
Nothing solved the problem.

Since the beginning of august the issue seems to have gotten worse.
I now sometimes get a (visual?) C++ error: R6016 Error Not enough space for thread data when running chrome or upon closing it, which then leads to said stuttering and freezing (although the error doesn't always happen)

I've also gotten more serious problems as in upon hard reboot the SATA Controller (set in AHCI) would no longer recognize the drive in the bios phase of drive discovery, leading to the error DISK BOOT FAILURE when trying to load the OS.

The strange thing is that the first time this error occurred it was fixed by turning off the computer for 10-30 seconds and then powering it on again. The drive was found once more and nothing strange happened during booting or no other errors/performance issues showed up during usage (after reading a thread in the FAQ this might no longer be too strange, even if I did not wait for the full 20mins as suggested)

However, not even 1 week later another freeze happened and another device not found too! This time powering off the system or rebooting it didn't solve the problem.
Funnily enough if I switched the SATA controller to IDE the OS would try to boot but immediately go to Blue Screen, Windows Boot Repair tool (or whatever the name), would not be able to identify and fix the problem.

This led me to believe that the SATA controller may be at fault (cables were unplugged and repuggled a couple of times just to make sure they were properly connected). So I switched the other HDD to the Marvell controller (port SATA3_1 to GSATA3_6 on the Marvell controller), and put the SSD on the port where the other HDD was getting recognized (SATA3_0 to SATA3_1).
I also re-enabled AHCI and the drive was read properly and windows booted without blue screens or problems of any sort.

2 weeks later (2 days ago) I got another crash with R6016 Error, and yesterday I got 2 crashes, one with the dreaded disk not found in the BIOS which fixed itself on the next reboot.

Precautions I have taken after yesterday's crashes: cleaning registry with CCleaner and updating chrome to the latest release (in hopes to fix R6016 Error), updated firmware on the SSD from 010g to 070h.
I also downloaded drivers on the motherboard website for both SATA controllers and the motherboard chipset but haven't installed them yet.
I also downloaded the last non-UEFI version of my BIOS (F12) but I am skeptical about installing it as none of the listed improvements are storage related. I am however able to do that if you guys deem it appropriate.

Today for the first time the stuttering happened but not the freeze. Chrome froze for about 5s then recovered but I had to reboot anyways because the cursor went weird (green and hugely pixellated). Shutdown time took longer than usual (had 5 seconds of black screen between desktop icons disappearing and the "Shutting Down" windows dialog appearing, but after the reboot everything was normal again. No error R6016 either.

SMART data from some minutes ago reads:

Attribute	 	               Current	 	Raw
		Raw Read Error Rate		100		000000000000
		Reallocated Sector Count	100		000000000000
		Power On Hours Count		100		000000001F18
		Power Cycle Count		100		0000000002D7
		Unknown attribute 170		100		000000000000
		Unknown attribute 171		100		000000000000
		Unknown attribute 172		100		000000000000
		Unknown attribute 173		98		000000000057
		Unknown attribute 174		100		000000000008
		Unknown attribute 181		100		047F01BC02C2
		SATA Downshift Error Count	100		000000000000
		End To End Error Count	100		000000000000
		Reported Uncorrectable Errors	100		000000000000
		Command Time Out		100		000000000000
		High Fly Writes		        100		000000000033
		Hardware ECC Recovered	100		000000000000
		Reallocated Event Count	100		000000000000
		Current Pending Sector	100		000000000000
		Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count		100		000000000000
		Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate		100		000000000000
		TA Increase Count		98		000000000002
		Flying Height Measurement		100		000000000000

which seems to indicate no particular problem with the drive.

I am now unsure between the following options:

• Drive is getting faulty and should be RMAd (however I don't see that many evidence of it, but I am sure you are more experienced than me)
  • controller ports are faulty, maybe this SATA3 controller is dying and I will have to switch the SSD to the Marvell controller as well (which would leave me with no available SATA3 ports as 2 would be faulty, 2 would be busy and the other 2 are SATA2), not a huge problem (I wouldn't RMA the motherboard for it), but I would surely be unhappy
  • the problem is software only and everything else that is hardware related (disk not found on reboot, OS crashing in IDE mode, etc.) is due to abruptly powering down the computer during the freeze and would probably fix itself if I wait for 20mins as per the post in the FAQs.

I will gladly appreciate any help, and be very thankful for solutions.

As I said I can also update drivers for my MOBO (and possibly BIOS) but I don't see how this could be the issue as for the first year and a half this problem never occurred.

Please also note that I have put a similar post on another helping board, it's not a manufacturer board, it's a general IT community board, if that was somehow against the terms of this forum please let me know and I will remove that thread.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: m4 64GB freezes and sometimes device not found in BIOS

Hi Com,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your system.

To help us establish the cause of the issue, could you please confirm as much of the information below as possible:

(I have filled in the information that you have already provided)

- When did the problems first occur?

- What is the SSD being used for? (O/S, Storage, Page File, etc.)

- What is the SSD part number printed on the sticker (starting CT):  CT064M4SSD2

- Your exact system or motherboard model:  GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

- Have you tried it in another system?

- Your current BIOS revision:

- Do you know your SATA speed (SATA-I 1.5Gb/s, SATA-II 3.0Gb/s, SATA-III 6Gb/s)?

- Operating system:  Windows 7 64bit

- What color or number is the SATA port the drive cable is connected to (Desktop users only)?

- Have you tried different SATA cables (Desktop users only)?

- Have you tried different SATA ports (Desktop users only)?

- Do you have more than one bay for hard drives/SSDs and have you tried the different bays (Laptop users only)?

- What Firmware version is printed on the sticker on the drive?

- Have you upgraded this and if so, what is the current version?  070h

- What BIOS SATA mode are you using (IDE/ AHCI/ RAID)?

- Do you have screen shots available (if relevant)?

Once we have the above information we can look in to what is causing the problems you are having.  Once again sorry for the issues you have had with this drive.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Com
Kilobyte Kid
Com

in reply to Crucial_Junket

The problems first occurred around the end of May 2013, I purchased and installed the drive on November 2011

The SSD is being used for O/S, Page File (2GB) and about 4-5 GB of applications

I have not tried it on another system as it probably would not run on it due to very different hardware

From Windows's registry Bios Version says: GBT - 42302e31 Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG (dated 09/01/11)

My current SATA Speed is SATA-III 6GB/s

The SATA Port it is currently connected to is SATA3_1

I have tried a different SATA cable and it did not fix the issue

The drive has also been on SATA3_0 until about 1 week ago where I had to move it to SATA3_1 because otherwise it would not be found in the AHCI device detection part (after a freeze as explained in my original thread)

Other questions:

- Do you have more than one bay for hard drives/SSDs and have you tried the different bays (Laptop users only)? Not Relevant (desktop)

- What Firmware version is printed on the sticker on the drive? 0009

- What BIOS SATA mode are you using (IDE/ AHCI/ RAID)? AHCI

- Do you have screen shots available (if relevant)? Not relevant (when the screen freezes I cannot take screenshots anyways)

Thanks in Advance for looking into it

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Hi Com,

Thank you for your reply.

I have read your reply and unfortunately it looks like there is a fault with your SSD.  As you have tried updating the firmware, changing SATA cable and port it looks like there is a fault.

We would be more than happy to arrange an exchange for you.  Please contact our customer service team directly HERE we can arrange this for you.  When you contact them please include the details you have provided on this forum as well as your address and proof of purchase.

Once again I am sorry for the problems you have had with this SSD.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Our Latest Posts