no hardware encryption M550

Kilobyte Kid

no hardware encryption M550

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I cannot get hardware encryption to work using  bitlocker under Winbdows 8.1 Pro x64.

Notebook:  Asus N550JK, using latest BIOS

SSD:  Crucial M550 1TB, using latest firmware

I don't have a TPM so I elect to use a password.

Whatever I do, it starts the long software encryption process.

Out of frustration, I tried Wave Embassy Security Center.  This turned on hardware encryption, but when I re-boot, I cannot get access to the entire SSD!  I had to do a PSID Revert to recover.  I have requested a refund from them and have wasted two days trying to get it to work.

I don't want to go the route using the Winmagic SecureDoc, as this is significantly more expensive.

1 Reply
Community Manager

Re: no hardware encryption M550

Hi mystery905,

Thanks for your post. 

First of all I'm sorry that you have been unable to get hardware encryption to work on your M550.  

Windows 8 BitLocker will use this hardware encryption when you apply a password in Windows, providing the following requirements are met:

• The boot order must be set to start first from the SSD (not the USB or CD drives)

• Make sure UEFI boot is enabled and you have a UEFI enabled Windows 8 installed

• The system needs to support UEFI 2.3.1

• BitLocker only supports TPM version 1.2 and 2.0 (or newer). In addition, you must use a Microsoft-provided TPM driver
    (Please note, BitLocker can also work without a TPM, it will need a USB flash drive to set the password instead then)

• The computer must boot natively from UEFI.

• Dynamic discs are not supported by BitLocker

• The SSD must have two partitions (drives with Windows installed generally do anyway) and the main partition to be encrypted must be NTFS

• Ensure Secure Boot is disabled in the UEFI.
    The M500 supports either ATA Security (like Secure Boot) or TCG Opal (which is needed for SED) but not both.

• The computer must have the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) disabled in UEFI.

• Some HP systems come with a revised version of Windows 8 that is Opal 1.0 compliant, rather than Opal 2.0. These are not interchangeable so SED will not run through these HP OEM versions of Win 8 BitLocker

Further info and possible limitations can be found at these resources:

Microsoft Technet Support - Encrypted Hard Drives:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831627.aspx

Microsoft Technet Support - BitLocker Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507.aspx

Trusted Computer Group (TCG) FAQs on Self- encrypting Drive (SEDs)
www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/resources/commonly_asked_questions_and_answers_on_selfencrypting_drive...

Can you make sure that you are meeting the above requirements?  Let me know how you get on and if you have any other questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask and I would be more than happy to help. 

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?