"Power on hours" smart value not being updated..!?

Kilobyte Kid

"Power on hours" smart value not being updated..!?

I got a mSATA M4 here and "Power on hours" smart value won't update. I updated firmware, tried garbage collection and looked around but nothing..

What's weird is : while i let it run for hours in bios, after restart, these hours were counted. However in Windows nothing's counted. Changed power settings but no luck.

I've read that Crucial SSD had issues with haswell platworm (my laptop is one if them) so i plugged another non sata M4 SSD with its last firmware and it updates! I don't get it..

8 Replies
Memory Leak Geek

Re: "Power on hours" smart value not being updated..!?

Change the setting in BIOS for hot plug.

Kilobyte Kid

Can you detail? What's that hot plug thing, in which tab/section do i find it?

Kilobyte Kid

I've looked around in the BIOS and didn't find such thing. I found a setting about power saving for pci-express, turned it off and ran windows for hours, still no change. Actually i found out that that line is updated.. It'll count an hour.. after running 10!!!

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

"Hot plug" option can be found on some desktop motherboards, but not all of them have this option available. 

In my opinion if the drive works stable you don't have to worry about the power-on-hours counter. You are probably right about Haswell - I think it puts the drives in some kind of slumber power state and probably that is why the counter slows down. I have encountered this behavior with M4 and one of my motherboards and I can confirm that in my case the power-on hours counter slowdown can be fixed with enabling hot plug in BIOS. With or without it the drive works perfectly anyway.

I guess counter can work in BIOS because most likely slumber power states are not working in this state, the same with non sata connecion (like with USB adapter).

And as far as I know some SSD models from other producers are also affected by this behaviour. I don't think this was intentional Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Memory Leak Geek

Hello,

I can confirm problems with SMART counters - but this time on Ivy Bridge platform. I have Latitude e6430 with MX100 512 GB and all counters (power hourc, power on etc.) are stopped.

Kilobyte Kid

Sorry, i said Haswell but i was actually on some Ivy Bridge laptop.. I just transfered this SSD to some Sandy Bridge laptop, let's see if this "bug" is still here..!

JEDEC Jedi

My motherboard I was referring to has Ivy Bridge chipset but on other forums I saw records related to Haswell.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby

Hello guys i am new here i am french so sorry for my bad english, and i register the site just to fix your problem how nice i am hehehe.

Ok i have 2 MX300 1 of the disk is in a holder 6 years pc and the power on hours count is working properly.

My main pc is where i got that same glitch,but i fixed it last night lol it was simple for me to guess what it was.

You probably all guessed that it was a bios problem well not at all its more a power management issue in windows 10 wich is enable by default,thats why i said (issue) that should be desable by default.

Let me explain i have a intel i7 7700k yes lucky me hahaha and i should see over 1000 hours on the counter but nop i only see 403 hours as for now,but it count now since i fixed it last night.

How i fixed it, my mobo is an asus prime B250 PLUS,so i went to asus support for my board and i saw in the utility section a software that is called (intel@ rapid storage technology) it is the software that can fix you all intel user with recent motherboard.

Get the version for your board and open up the software in the performance section,in my case only 1 option are there and its (link power management) wich was enable,as it come enable as default in windows 10 so i desable that and voila my counter is counting every single hours now.

I hope some of you will fix it just like me with this little work around it work for me.