ssd died

Kilobyte Kid

ssd died

hi, I lived in Singappore. i just bought this crucial m4 SSD 512gb, i  connect it to my laptop to format it, immediately at the disk management, it says data error(cyclic redundancy check)

i tried the suggest method to power up the disk in this forum, nothings happen

how can i repair or replace it in singapore?

7 Replies
Community Manager

Re: ssd died

Hi roberthere,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your SSD.

To help us establish the cause of the issue, could you please confirm as much of the information below as possible:

- What is the SSD being used for? (O/S, Storage, Page File, etc.)

- What is the SSD part number printed on the sticker (starting CT):

- Your exact system or motherboard model:

- Have you tried it in another system?

- Your current BIOS revision:

- Do you know your SATA speed (SATA-I 1.5Gb/s, SATA-II 3.0Gb/s, SATA-III 6Gb/s)?

- Operating system:

- What color or number is the SATA port the drive cable is connected to (Desktop users only)?

- Have you tried different SATA cables (Desktop users only)?

- Have you tried different SATA ports (Desktop users only)?

- Do you have more than one bay for hard drives/SSDs and have you tried the different bays (Laptop users only)?

- What Firmware version is printed on the sticker on the drive?

- Have you upgraded this and if so, what is the current version?

- What BIOS SATA mode are you using (IDE/ AHCI/ RAID)?

- Do you have screen shots available (if relevant)?

If you have any other questions please just ask.

Once we have the above information we can look in to what is causing the problems for you.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

- What is the SSD being used for? (O/S, Storage, Page File, etc.)

I want to use for OS for my lenovo laptop,  i tried to connect it through a usb ATA cable, the diskmanagement in win 7 will says disk 1 dynamic invalid, and i cannot do anything about it

- What is the SSD part number printed on the sticker (starting CT):

CT512MSS4D2

- Your exact system or motherboard model:

mine is a lenovo X220, later i tried to connect it to another pc, using the SATA 2 cable, same things happen

- Have you tried it in another system?

yes tried in another pc, i just do many of the methods as mentioned in this forum,

- Your current BIOS revision:

I am not sure, i have another 2 samsung SSD, older, i just connect and i can see everything

- Do you know your SATA speed (SATA-I 1.5Gb/s, SATA-II 3.0Gb/s, SATA-III 6Gb/s)?

I think sata 2

- Operating system:

win7

- What color or number is the SATA port the drive cable is connected to (Desktop users only)?

blue and red

- Have you tried different SATA cables (Desktop users only)?

yes, i used the blue one first and then later i tried the CD rom red one

- Have you tried different SATA ports (Desktop users only)?

yes, i tried 2 different one

- Do you have more than one bay for hard drives/SSDs and have you tried the different bays (Laptop users only)?

i did not connect it to my laptop, i only have 1 bay for my laptop, I need to use my laptop very often, i cannot afford too much downtime,

- What Firmware version is printed on the sticker on the drive?

070H

- Have you upgraded this and if so, what is the current version?

cannot read harddisk, cannot upgrade

- What BIOS SATA mode are you using (IDE/ AHCI/ RAID)?

not sure what is this, i just want to use it to replace the HD for my lenovo X220

- Do you have screen shots available (if relevant)?

i have 2 sceen shot for diskmanagement and crystal disk info, how to upload it

If you have any other questions please just ask.

i spend alot of money on this HD, and the most important in my PC is my data, how long you think this new SSD can be repaired, and if it is fixed, how often will this happen, i cannot afford to lose my data

Once we have the above information we can look in to what is causing the problems for you.

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

i am attaching screen shot of my diskmanagement and crystal disk infodiskmanagement.jpg

*removed image for personal information*

Silicon Sultan

you don't need to do anything in disk management with the drive. you need to make an image of your present drive, then copyit to a usb flash drive, and use whatever software you were going to use to place the image on the new ssd. looks like somehow windows was prompted to see a dynamic disc (don't use this option if offered by win storage options). i would recommend you secure erase the ssd to remove any trace of previous attempts at formatting, and start over with the imaging software of your choice.

Highlighted
Silicon Sultan

images are not yet validated by staff, so it may be a bit before the rest of us can see them Smiley Wink
Kilobyte Kid

i dont understand, right now, i am connecting the ssd through usb to my laptop, it is showing as a 239GB G drive, but when i tried to read or format it, it says "disk is write protected" and when i try to do an image backup using windows backup, it just cannot see the drive, how can i image the OS, attached screen shotbackup.jpg

JEDEC Jedi

CrystalDiskInfo screenshot has been removed due to personal information protection probably. Please try to repost it but you should hide serial number prior to posting it.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!