Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
listingbadly
Accepted Solution

16GB DDR3L 1600 CL11 mac memory kit

Hi. I recently bought two of these Crucial kits and have just noticed that they have different module configurations: one has 16 ICs per module (8 each side); the other 8 (4 each side). I'm guessing the 8 chip modules use higher density 1GB ICs, right?  Is there anything to be concerned about here? Do both IC configurations have identical compatibility across supported Apple products? I recall the compatibility problems I had when 512MB ICs suddenly found their way onto 4GB DDR3 1066 modules. I'm hoping this isn't a repeat performance in the making. Thanks.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: 16GB DDR3L 1600 CL11 mac memory kit

in reply to listingbadly

Hi listingbadly,

So we can check the compatibility for you we would need you to provide some more details about your system and the memory you have ordered.

Can you confirm what type of Mac you have, processor speed and also the screen size? 

On the memory modules you have ordered there is a sticker with the part number listed on the side.  Please confirm the part numbers which should look something like "CT25664BC1339.16FE"

Once I have the above information I can check to see if the memory is compatible with your system.  The different amount of chip on the memory modules is what's known as the memory density.  The lower amount of chips, the higher the density.  Some systems can support both high and low density memory so we do have to look in to this for you.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
listingbadly

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Thanks for getting back to me. Both 16GB kit versions have the same product code: CT2C8G3S160BM. The kit with 8 IC modules (these are the ones that worry me) has the following module part numbers: CT8G3S160BM.8DED. I use these kits to upgrade 2012 i5/i7 DDR3 1600 MBPs, iMacs and Mac minis. I've had no trouble whatsoever with the 16 IC version across that product range, and simply want to know whether or not the 8 IC version has any unique compatibility traits that I should be aware of (i.e. is there some kind of opaque IC high/low density compatibility issue affecting the product range I mention). If you want examples of specific models, here are some: MBP i5 2.5 13" (mid-2012); iMac i7 3.4 27" (late 2012); Mac mini i7 2.3 (late 2012).

Crucial_maulmod

in reply to listingbadly

Hi Listingbadly,

Thanks for your reply.  By ordering through our Memory Advisor Tool you'll always be guaranteed to get compatible revisions for your model as we build filters in to ensure we account for any anomalies like specific density revisions for specific models.

I have checked the examples you have given (MBP i5 2.5 13" (mid-2012); iMac i7 3.4 27" (late 2012); Mac mini i7 2.3 (late 2012).) and can confirm that all of them can support both the 8 chip and 16 chip revisions of CT8G3S160BM so you should not have any problems with the memory you have recently bought.

I hope this helps but please let us know if you have any further questions.

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
listingbadly

in reply to Crucial_maulmod

Ok, many thanks. If I come across any issues, I'll post back.

Our Latest Posts