27" iMac i7 spontaneoulsy shutting down

Bit Baby

Re: 27" iMac i7 spontaneoulsy shutting down

[ Edited ]

Another complaint here..

Installed 16GB (2X CT2KIT51264BC1339) Crucial on my 27" i7 2.93GHz with Lion, and after about 24 hours I just had my first shutdown.

This sucks!

Kilobyte Kid

Bit Baby

[ Edited ]

It hasn't happened again so far, if it does, I will replace it with ***Edit to remove Crucial competitor***.

Community Manager

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having issues with your iMac working with Crucial memory.

Apple systems can be very particular about what memory revision that they use.  For example one 4GB module can be fine in one iMac model but not another.  We have worked hard and narrowed down what iMac can take what revision. 

If you ordered your memory without going directly to your system profile on Crucial.com then it's possible that the memory revision you have is causing the issues on your iMac.  We would be more than happy to exchange these parts for the correct revision for you which will resolve the issue.  As there are so many variations of iMac systems with no discernible model numbers I would recommend contacting our customer service team direct with your systems serial number.  We can then use this to check what exact system you have and we will exchange the memory for a different revision.  Please see the links below for your regions customer service team.

US Customer Service

EU Customer Service

UK Customer Service

Once again I would like to say sorry for any issues this has caused and we will resolve this by exchanging the memory for a different revision.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Ok, it happened a few more times. I'm done with crucial, specially because the custer service reps think we are idiots, and send me troubleshooting steps instead of acknowledging the hardware issue listed above.
Community Manager

Hi onlyspfc,

I'm sorry to hear of the experience you are having and I have checked against your email address and we did send you a troubleshooting email.

This issue with memory revisions is very rare and is not always the cause of compatibility issue with iMac systems so we do have to troubleshoot as much as possible.  We need to make sure everything has been tried before arranging an exchange, there would be no point in arranging an exchange for the same thing to happen again.

I would be more than happy to look in to this issue for you, can you please confirm the full part number of your memory including the information after the dot?  For example CT25664AC800.16fe.

Also can you confirm the exact specs of your iMac including the processor speed and screen size. 

Unfortunately as there are many variables with computers we do need to narrow down any issues as much as possible and that's why we do have to troubleshoot issues.  We are not trying to prevent a resolution, these steps are to make sure we can pin point the exact cause of your problems.

Want to be a Super User?
Community Manager

Kilobyte Kid

Junket, can you please post the "revision" numbers that Crucial has deemed to run stable with various revisions of iMacs?  Honestly, there can't be that many models or matching revisions to list, so please don't say that there are too many to list and that we should call customer service to look up our specific model.  Really, I think all of the users in this thread are using one of the few models of iMacs in the mid-2010 and mid-2011 releases, pretty much exclusively limited to groupings of 4 of your 4 GB chips.  And, it would appear that this serious hardware issue is causing catastrophic power down (which isn't good for our OS installs, or the directory structure of our boot drives).  This would go a long way in helping us to verify that we (who are having these very serious issues which are very specific to our 2010/2011 iMac w/ 4x4GB chips) do or do not have the incorrect "revision" of RAM.  It would also go along way for me personally, to restore my trust in Crucial.  If I don't receive an adequately honest and direct answer from Crucial regarding this matter, I will cease to purchase Crucial RAM for all future purchases for myself and also for my edit bay buildouts at future studios.

Community Manager

Hi PoweredDown,

We would not be able to provide a list of incompatible revisions as each memory type can have dozens if not hundreds of memory revisions.  There are many different Apple systems so it would be very difficult to post these part numbers in this forum.

What I can guarantee is that if we find an issue with a revision of memory which is a very rare issue then we no longer make that revision available on our website or over the phones.  If there is a known problem with an issue we switch that part off against the system which would prevent any further orders of that memory.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Ok, to be fair, I did some research on the Apple Discussion Forums, and found that other types of memory have also had issues including ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor*** (to varying degrees), when paired up with iMacs (generally 2010 i7s w/ 4x4 GB chips).  So I feel better knowing that it's not specific only to crucial.  

For the record, the RAM that is not working with my 2011 3.4 GHz i7 iMac, is 4x4 GB chips which show the following in System Profiler:

Manufacturer:    0x859B
  Part Number:    0x435435313236344243313333392E4D313646

The pack list that came with the memory states that it is for the Apple iMac (21.5 and 27-inch, Mid 2010).  So the right type of RAM was requested, but I can confirm that it is incompatible with this model.  The part number is CT1844212.