27" iMac i7 spontaneoulsy shutting down

Community Manager

Re: 27" iMac i7 spontaneoulsy shutting down

Hi PoweredDown,

We would need the part number that's listed on the memory modules.  It will look something like CT51264BC1339.16FE.

This shows what batch and revision of memory you have installed in your system and we can check and see if we have had any issues reported.  I would also contact customer service direct and request an exchange for a different memory revision.

You can contact customer service direct from the links in my signature.  Once again I am sorry for the issues you are having and we will get this memory exchanged and make sure you get the correct memory for your system.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hello there,

I am hoping you can answer my question as to how to move forward.

I have spent countless hours on the phone with Apple and then another 70 minutes on the phone with a new CSR at Crucial.  In the end, he "spoke" with technical support and they told him the solution to the problem was to reset PRAM.  Which I have done with Apple 4 times - BTW.

I asked polietly, what if this doen't work?  He said, "I don't know, maybe call back again".  I realize he is new but I forwarded him this thread and I am reporting the EXACT same issue.

I am going to reset my PRAM and run a memory test as suggested.  I have done all of things before but I will do them now for the sake of compliance.  

I am not sure what to do - I purchased these Crucial memory modules from Microcenter (United States) 4 months ago and can not return them.

Their Number is CT51264BC1339.M.16FR (all 4 SODIMS)

I am really at a loss on how to move forward and I feel as if I am stuck because all options are just to time consuming to pursue.  Can you advise?

Best,

Justin

Hello jziran,

If the PRAM reset doesn't resolve the issues you've seen, I would advice contact our Technical Support department directly. If that is inconvenient for you, you can send me a Private Message here on the forum and I'll look into the matter for you. To send a PM, click on my name over there on the left, and then on "Send this user a private message" in the gray box on the right side of the new page that opens.

If you send the PM, please include the serial number of your iMac and any case ID that you were given when talking to the CSR on the phone, so I can find the case notes, and I'll get back to you as soon as I ahve looked into the matter. Without knowing which specific iMac model you have, I can't verify whether you have a compatible revision or not, so I want to start there, and make sure that we have looked at everything.

If you prefer to contact Technical Support via phone, use the contact information linked in my signature, and when you call in, pick Technical Support in the menu options the system gives you.

I'm sorry you've had these issues with the memory, and we'll do what we can to resolve this for you.

Katana,
US Moderator
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

This is a worrying thread. Having wrestled ith Lion for a week, the last thing I want to do on my work iMac is have more downtime due to RAM issues.

I have had the 27" 2.7GHz iMac two weeks and have yet to instal the 4 x 4Gb Crucial RAM modules which arrived last week. They were ordered based on the dropdown menus rather than the system profiler.

The drop down menus gave me Part Number: CT2109102. (2 x 4Gb packs)

I've just run the System Profiler and that gives me Part number CT2116942. (2 x 4Gb packs)

Do I have the wrong RAM for my model iMac? I'd rather find out and exchange now rather than instal and have problems. (Both packs of RAM are still sealed - another reason for finding out ahead of time before intalling).

Thanks for your help.

Community Manager

Hi Lecson,

I have just checked and the memory you have ordered is guaranteed compatible with your system and will work great.  You won't have any issues at all with this memory.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly. That's today's techy activity taken care of.

I'll report back when it's installed and has been running a day or so.

Kilobyte Kid

@Crucial_Junkey:

I too have had this problem since I purchased and installed this memory.   I purchased 16GB from Crucial based on the system type and have believed this to be an Apple flaw so I have not pursued Crucial about it.  I had read numerous discussions where it was considered a flaw to use "non apple" memory at 16GB andI was stunned to find this thread tonight.

This is what I purchased:

Qty: 4 CT1412111
     Part Number: CT51264BC1339
     Description: 4GB, 204-pin SODIMM  Upgrade for a Apple iMac 2.93GHz Intel Quad-Core i7 (27-inch - DDR3) Mid 2010 System

My system is a 27" iMac - 2.93 Ghz Intel Core i7 - it started to exhibit the same exact behavior of randomly shutting itself off.  I'd have the system running for a few days and it'd just shut off randomly.

Recently I've been trying to render a video in Adobe Premiere Elements and although I'm not sure if its related or not (I can render less complex videos without any issues) it seems that the more complex video seems to be triggering the issue.   Thats what brought me here tonight looking again.

Can you tell me if this is something Crucial can fix?

Community Manager

Hi jgarvas,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your system.

To test if it is the memory that's causing it I would recommend trying each module one at a time in the system.  If one is faulty we would be happy to arrange an exchange for you.

Also is it possible that you could confirm the full part number on the memory module?  It will look something like CT51264BC1339.16FH, we need the digits after the dot in the part number as well.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

@junket -

The part number on all four of the chips is CT51264BC1339.M16FR - I bought these directly from Crucial online and can provide you with the order number if you wish.   The problem started shortly after I installed them (about 5-7 days?) and it was so infrequent that I was dealing with it.   Now that it sounds like there may be a conflict with the chips I'm interested in a resolution.

Yesterday I became frustrated and followed the advice of many here before me.  I removed two of the modules and restarted the system, re-ran the same process in Adobe Premiere Elements (rendering a large video) that would shut off the machine every single time I attempted it and with just two chips installed it completed successfully.  I am going to test your theory and attempt to render that video with one chip at a time, but from what I've read online this seems to be consistent with a combination that = 16GB total.  I'll let you know what I find later tonight.

-Jeff

Kilobyte Kid

@junket:   I performed some testing today now that I can reproduce an event that causes the sudden shutdown.

I took all four 4GB chips and put them in individually.  Then I ran the rendering process in PPE that seemed to be reproducing the problem.   With just 4GB in I was able to run the rendering with each individual chip and no problems - all four times.

I put all four chips back in to get to 16GB and right after I started the rendering (within 30 seconds) the machine powered off.  I tried it again after the machine rebooted and it shut off again.  For the heck of it I removed one chip at that point and was able to successfully render the same video at 12GB of memory.   This is increasingly more obvious some kind of conflict when all four 4GB chips are installed.  These are of course the CT51264BC1339.M16FR.