27" iMac i7 spontaneoulsy shutting down

Community Manager

Re: 27" iMac i7 spontaneoulsy shutting down

Hi jgarvas,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having issues with the full 16GB of memory installed.  I would make sure that you have all firmware updates from Apple for this system.  We can also arrange an exchange for a different memory revision to see if that would help, just contact our customer service team HERE and direct them to this thread if you have to.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

Well PERFECT...  I just recieved my 16 GB of Crucial memory for my iMac 2.93 Ghz i7...  Not sure if I should just return it before installing or taking the chance of it working or spending the next few days **bleep** off...  

Kilobyte Kid

Ok...went ahead and installed the memory.  hope all goes well...

Community Manager

Hi TofSanity,

It is very rare that there is compatibility issues and we have narrowed it down to what memory that is.  If you ordered the memory direct from Crucial then there should be no issues with compatibility and it will work fine.

Memory Leak Geek

You should not worry. My memory that came from crucial works perfectly in my i7 2.93 iMac. Definitely order from crucial.com Customer service was A +. Don't hesitate, they ave been responsive, courteous and empathetic.
Kilobyte Kid

Just to add a follow up - the RAM was installed and I have had no problems with iMac shut down.

What it has done is make OS Lion really fly - I could sit here for hours watching how fast windows snap open and how quickly Safari operates.

Kilobyte Kid

Same problem here..

In septemberg I bought 16Gb memory for my iMac 27", since then my computer shuts down randomly.  I can't reproduce the problem, but it happens sometimes a few times in a row when I try to read an online newspaper, then it doesn't happen again for a few days to find my computer shutdown suddenly from standby mode.

I am not very happy with this and would like Crucial to find a solution for this problem...  I bought the memory through the shop in the states, but since I am living in Dubai, UAE, shipping costs alone are expensive enough.  This problem shouldn't have happened in the first place.

My order was:

Qty: 2 CT1412118 
     Part Number: CT2KIT51264BC1339
     Price: $53.99
     Description: 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM  Upgrade for a Apple iMac 2.8GHz Intel-Quad Core i5 (27-inch - DDR3) Mid 2010 System
     Line total: $107.98

All help from Crucial would be appreciated.

Stefan Thuwis

Kilobyte Kid

Re: 27" iMac i7 spontaneously shutting down

[ Edited ]

Junket,

Howdy from Dallas, Texas!

I have a fairly new 27" 2.8 GHz Intel Core IMac i5 .  After doing some research via crucial's memory selection website, I purchased my CT1412118 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIUMM memory on 11/12/2011.  For some reason starting on December 15 my computer started to "spontaneously" shut down.  I thought this was maybe a power issue (loose plug) - not an issue.  I called up Apple and of course they immediately determined it was the new memory that I purchased from Crucial.  After reading the Crucial forum on the  "Re: 27" iMac i7 spontaneoulsy shutting down" it apparent that the memory I purchase from Crucial is either defective or I goofed and ordered the wrong memory.  The later would be highly unlikely since I did used the memory selection option to make my memory purchase on Crucials website.

That said, I can't afford for my iMac to constantly shut down.  Please provide me some guidance to resolve this issue.  Time is of course of the essence. Or should i say its Crucial! Smiley Happy

Much Appreciated

EJR

Community Manager

Hi edgarimaci5,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your memory.

It does unfortunately sound like one of the memory modules may be faulty.  As you ordered them as a Kit we would exchange both modules for you.

To do this please contact our customer service team HERE and they can arrange that for you.

Kilobyte Kid

I too have been painfully stung by this issue.  For 3 years my iMac has been running perfectly smoothly with 4GB, then I received the 16GB RAM on May 24, 2012 and after installation, the system has been spontaneously shutting down and rebooting multiple times per day.

After following and trying all the trouble-shooting tips in the thread and on the Apple Discussion Forums (ensuring up-to-date firmware, testing each module separately, PRAM reset, SMC reset, etc.), I've narrowed down the problem to instability when using more than 12GB of the Crucial RAM.  The system seems stable over multiple days and various loads using 12GB in any configuration with any combination of the 4GB modules.  As soon as the last 4GB Crucial RAM module is added, the system will crash/reboot under load.

Crucial mods ... what is my next step?  Looks like I will need a refund?

Here are my relevant technical details:

My Computer:

iMac 27-inch, Late 2009

Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz

System Info > Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: iMac11,1

Boot ROM Version: IM111.0034.B02

SMC Version (system): 1.54f36

Apple Original Memory (2 modules, 2GB each) Label Sticker:

Hynix 2GB 2Rx8 PC3 - 8500S - 7 - 10 - F2

HMT125S6BFR8C - G7 NO AA - C  0945

Purchased RAM from Crucial:

8GB Kit (4GBx2)  

DDR3 PC3-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1066 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •   •  Part #: CT1115266

Quantity x 2 (total 16GB)

Delivered RAM (4 modules, 4GB each) Label Sticker:

Crucial(TM) BL111JD.VJ

201216 SU

CT51264BC1067.M16FD

4GB 204 - PIN SODIMM 512Mx64 DDR  128615