27" iMac i7 spontaneoulsy shutting down

Community Manager

Re: 27" iMac i7 spontaneously shutting down

Hi drwillia,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your memory upgrade.

I would recommend exchanging the memory for a different revision to see if that helps with the issues you are having.  Apple systems can be very particular about what exact revision of memory they take.

We would be more than happy to arrange an exchange for you just contact the customer service team HERE

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Same problem I7 27 inch Imac, 16 GB of crucial memory.  Random shutdowns every 6-24 hours after install.  Thank you Junket for being so helpful with these posts. I'm going to beging the customer service process now that I have a confirmed reason for all these crashes.

Kilobyte Kid

I have an update, I returned my ram to Best Buy and got new ram.  Then I ran a RAM test using http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/ The test results were good and at this point my computer hasn't randomly shut down yet.  I'll update this forum if I have any more random shut down issues.

Bit Baby

I've been having this problem since I upgraded with Crucial Memory in 2011. I'll be contacting support as this appears to be a compatibility isse. It seems the memory is not truly compatible. I've lost count of how many times my iMac has shutdown today. Each morning when I get to my computer it has also switched itself off.

Bit Baby

[ Edited ]

I have a Late 2013 27" iMac 3.4GHz with 32GB Crucial Memory and it has been to Apple 4 times for kernel panics. They cail THEIR ram is not producing the errors. Unfortunately, I do not have the original Apple RAM that came with the system. 

I bought the RAM directly from Crucial and used the system selector before buying. Running an extended memtest last night no issues after 24 hours. As soon as the screensaver kicks in, it dies Smiley Sad 

IS there anything I can do to fix this based on the info here in this forum? HEre is my memory config as reported by the system profiler

Memory Slots:
ECC: Disabled
Upgradeable Memory: Yes
BANK 0/DIMM0:
Size: 8 GB
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1600 MHz
Manufacturer: 0x859B
Part Number: 0x43543130323436344246313630422E433136
*removed personal information*
BANK 1/DIMM0:
Size: 8 GB
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1600 MHz
Manufacturer: 0x859B
Part Number: 0x43543130323436344246313630422E433136
BANK 0/DIMM1: Size: 8 GB Type: DDR3 Speed: 1600 MHz Status: OK Manufacturer: 0x859B Part Number: 0x43543130323436344246313630422E433136
BANK 1/DIMM1: Size: 8 GB Type: DDR3 Speed: 1600 MHz Status: OK Manufacturer: 0x859B Part Number: 0x43543130323436344246313630422E433136

Thank you 

Community Manager

Hi gonzalu,

I am sorry for the issues you've experienced with your RAM. Please contact us directly using the info in my signature and we would be happy to help you troubleshoot or replace them if necessary.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby

[ Edited ]

I just filed an RMA ... I am not sure this will work Smiley Sad THis will be my SECOND time replacing these modules via Crucial. I do not believe these modules are compatible. 

Apple has tested with Hynix OEM chips at two different Apple Store Repair Centers and passes with flying colors, no Kernel Panics. BTW, Memory Stress Tests like MemTest and Apple Diagnostics do not reveal a problem. I can replicate the problem at will by running the screen saver! Works fine with OEM RAM not with Crucial RAM. Smiley Sad

Bit Baby

Re: 27" iMac i7 spontaneoulsy shutting down

I have a 2015 27" 5K retina iMac which was fine. I installed 8mb of RAM and worked perfectly for 2 months and then suddenly started to crash. The more I use it the worse it gets. I have taken the crucial memory out - it has been rebuilt and had a new logic board yet still does it! Day 1 after rebuild last about 3 hours and then gets progressively shorter until it it will barely turn on. If I leave for 12 hours get better again. I need to unplug it and leave for 15-20 minutes before it will restart. So I don't think it can be the memory otherwise surely it should go away. Seems more like a mac fault.