8GB v 16GB better for MacBook Pro mid-2012?

Bit Baby

8GB v 16GB better for MacBook Pro mid-2012?

So I installed new 1600-clocked RAM (8GB per slot; 16GB total) in my MacBook Pro (mid-2012). I'm getting kernel panic messages (corrupt RAM) running EtreCheck. Apple won't let me open Crucial's scanner app.

Is running an Apple MacBook Pro (mid-2012) with 16GB RAM give one better performance than 8GB alone?
3 Replies
Community Manager

Re: 8GB v 16GB better for MacBook Pro mid-2012?

@dcelander Thanks for contacting us today. I am sorry for the issues that you have experienced with your RAM. You should see an increase in the performance of your RAM and not be seeing kernel panics. What is the full part number of the memory you ordered? This information will be located on the label of the memory. I would advise you follow the steps here to troubleshoot your memory. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby

The KP report details of the EntreCheck are in conflict with the overall EntreCheck diagnostics report that states the two 8GB, 1600 Crucial RAM chips are ok and properly working. And no apparent issues in system performance. An Apple community member suggested the KP was due to using 16GB total RAM rather than 8GB RAM per Apple mantra for the mid-2012 Mabcbook Pro.
Bit Baby

The KP report details of the EntreCheck are in conflict with the overall EntreCheck diagnostics report that states the two 8GB, 1600 Crucial RAM chips are ok and properly working. And no apparent issues in system performance. An Apple community member suggested the KP was due to using 16GB total RAM rather than 8GB RAM per Apple mantra for the mid-2012 Mabcbook Pro.