8m Ram labeled CT8G3S160BM.C16FND is actually CT102464BF160B.C16

Bit Baby

8m Ram labeled CT8G3S160BM.C16FND is actually CT102464BF160B.C16

Running a ram check on these modules proves the Part number is not what is on the label.

Is this a CRUTIAL rebranding?

Here's the problem:

searching for this part number on the website

CT8G3S160BM

http://www.crucial.com/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10151&categoryId=&productId=1209...

After I type in my Computer type

Apple  iMac 27” 3.2ghz late 2012

After hitting refresh the RAM Specs turns into this part DIFFERENT part number:

CT3650257. It states this new part number "IS" compatible.

So is “CT3650257” actually “CT8G3S160BM”?

Is a CT8G3S160BM compatible?

As well, the software Ram scan test shows the actual part number as being:

"CT102464BF160B.C16"

Which when running a test for compatibility on your site states is NOT compatible with my iMac.

FRUSTRATING!

I need to know asap if CT102464BF160B.C16 is Compatible with a late 2012 27” iMac.

Please advise asap

Also these 8M RAM chips come up as “Partial Array Self refresh “NO”

High Temperature Self Refresh YES

Original iMac ram says “Partial Array Self refresh “YES”

High Temperature Self Refresh NO

Are these compatible together?

1 Reply
Community Manager

Re: 8m Ram labeled CT8G3S160BM.C16FND is actually CT102464BF160B.C16

@sparkyj Thanks for contacting us today. I am sorry for the delay in reply. 

The two parts are basically the same. When you order online by system information, you are shown what we refer to as an “external” part number, in your case number CT3650257. It is a system specific number and is mapped exclusively to the iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) iMac13,2. The longer part number, CT102464BF160B.C16, is the one that would you see printed on your module, and that is the actual module part number, or the "base" part number. CT8G3S160BM is also the base part number, but more generic. 

There are other specifications to memory than the basic ones published on the site, and they sometimes requires us to filter out a certain build of a part for a specific system. The external part number can accomplish this, since we can build filters into them when necessary. Those filters are also the reason that we can only guarantee compatibility if you order by system; the external part number tells us which computer you are ordering for. If you order by specifications we don't know what model of computer you have, and that makes it impossible to guarantee compatibility. 

To answer your last question these parts are compatible with your existing memory and compatible with your system. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?