Advice on RAM for new iMac (2017)

Bit Baby

Advice on RAM for new iMac (2017)

Hi. I'm looking at getting the new iMac. I was going to order the 8GB version and upgrade.

According to apple on this page (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201191) it's DDR4 2400 ram.

Which looks like it would be similar to this: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct4k16g4tfd824a

However, when I do the "memory selector" on the page it doesn't show up as compatible. Am I missing something? And suggestions?

Thanks! :-)

3 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Advice on RAM for new iMac (2017)

Hello mattyk,

Thank you for your message.  First of all, is it the 27" or the 21.5" model that you're going for?  We don't sell a memory upgrade for the 21.5" model.  This is because it can't be upgraded due to the build of the system.

You can upgrade the 27" model and you can see all the compatible memory upgrades for that model here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Apple/imac-%28retina-5k%2C-27-inch-3*4ghz-intel...

These are the parts that we recommend for the new iMac models.  With it being a brand new model, we don't have an installation guide yet.  I would recommend contacting Apple for a guide on how to install new memory.  If you do have any other questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask.  

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Hi,

I am buying the new 2017 IMac 27" 3.4GHz i5  and want to upgrade the memory. I searched and saw there are 2 similar items for (2x8GB)

- CT10559878 - specifically for 3.4GHz i5 27"

- CT10559859 - for IMac 2017

Wonder what is the difference of these 2 products ?

Thanks

Michael Yu

Community Manager

@Orchid08 Thanks for contacting us today. These part numbers are actually for the identical part. If you order for either you will receive the same RAM. 

When you order by advanced search online, you are shown the “external” part number CT10559878 - specifically for 3.4GHz i5 27" and  CT10559859 - for IMac 2017. The part number that you see on your module is the actual module base part number or CT2K8G4S24AM for both upgrades. If you order by advanced search or system information, the external part number is referenced in your packing list. The two cross-referenced part numbers refer to the same module.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?