Do you mean 
Memory Leak Geek
CyBerlin

After 8GB upgrade, Mac Mini auto zooms display after screen saver kicks in

[ Edited ]

I have a mid-2010 Mac Mini. Here are the details:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=CA9A34F731D926C3

I installed the 8GB Crucial RAM upgrade today:

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1066 MT/s (PC3-8500) CL7 SODIMM 204-Pin Notebook Memory Modules CT2CP51264BC1067

Now, whenever the Mac's screen saver engages, I'm getting the following bizarre behavior:

The display is automagically zooming in by one or two clicks and the OS seems to be locking in that zoom level as the new system default. This means that I can continue to zoom in, but I can never zoom out to my original (and correct) display resolution.

The only way to fix this behavior is to zap the Mac's PRAM. This fixes things, but only until the screen saver kicks in again.

For now, I've turned off the screen saver.

I also posed a similar message on the Apple Discussions forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4973907

What are my options?

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: After 8GB upgrade, Mac Mini auto zooms display after screen saver kicks in

in reply to CyBerlin

Hi CyBerlin,

First of all I would like to say sorry for the issues you are having with this memory upgrade.

It's a very unusual problem and it's not something we have come across before when upgrading the memory on a Mac Mini system.  Do you know if you have the most up to date EFI firmware for that system from Apple?

Also would it be possible if you could try each memory module one at a time in the system with no other memory installed to check and see if you are getting the same problem with just one single 4GB module?

Let us know how it goes and it you get a reply from your Apple thread as well.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Memory Leak Geek
CyBerlin

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Thanks for the reply. I have a quick update.

The problem is NOT related to the screen saver. I turned off the screen saver last night, then powered down the monitor.  This morning when I powered up the monitor, the display had auto-zoomed as before.

I can confirm that my box is using the latest firmware from Apple (although I don't have access to the Apple menu until I reboot).

There was one additional change I made yesterday. I switched from using an HDMI => DVI cable to connect the monitor to using a straight through HDMI cable. I will switch back to the HDMI => DVI cable for now to see if the problem goes away.

Then, I will test with each memory stick separately as suggested. (No update from the Apple Discussions site yet.)

Memory Leak Geek
CyBerlin

in reply to CyBerlin

It's beginning to look more and more like this problem is related to my new Amazon.com HDMI cable!

I swapped back to my Apple HDMI => DVI cable, and since then I haven't experienced any auto-zoom issues. I'll keep monitoring the situation and will report back if anything changes.

(This is what happens when you change more than one variable at a time!) :smileywink:

Memory Leak Geek
CyBerlin

in reply to CyBerlin

Here are the details for the Amazon-branded cable I was using:

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable (3 Feet/0.9 Meter) - Supports Ethernet, 3D, and Audio Return [Newest Standard]

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Meters/dp/B003L1ZYYM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

Anyway, it's too early to tell. If it is related to the cable swap, then it may be due to a stale hardware setting on the Mac itself (although a PRAM zap ought to have cleared this, and I have zapped the PRAM a half-dozen times since yesterday).

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to CyBerlin

Hi Cyberlin,

It does sound like an issue with the cable. Please let us know if anything changes. Have a great day!

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Our Latest Posts