Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Baby
CdnTech

Another Will MAC RAM work in PC query

Sorry to clog this up again, but it seems the vendors are only selliing MAC RAM for the older machines it seems. 

So I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 0199-23U which can take up to 8GB as 2GB sodimm modules. It is PC3-8500 1066MHz DDR3 RAM with dual-channel capable non-parity.

So the question is will the CT4G3S160BM ram (2 modules) do the job even though it is quite a bit faster/newer?

Thanks for any feedback on this matter.

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Re: Another Will MAC RAM work in PC query

in reply to CdnTech

Hi CdnTech,

Thank you for contacting us today. It appears that your system can handle 2-4GB modules for a max of 8GB. This system is compatible with PC3-12800 CT2KIT51264BF160B ( the Mac version of this would be fine). Your system, however, will clock down the RAM to the 1066mhz speed as it appears the FSB (Front Side Bus) speed is only 1066mhz. This information can be found here.  Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. 

Best regards, 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
GregoryW

in reply to Crucial_YogiH

Hi and thanks for the assist here.

I have with the assistance of the guys behind the local genius bar in my Apple store just purchased (2) two GB memory modules to replace the (2) one GB modules that are currently installed in my Macbook5. Great for my Mac. But I started to think about my other computer, which is a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop.  My question is once I install the new modules into the MacBook would I be able to use the 1 GB modules to replace the existing modules in the Dell, which has (2) 516 units currently but can accept a total capacity of I believe 2 GB, if not 4.

It's a question of compatibility, correct?

Thanks in advance

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to GregoryW

Hi GregoryW,

The RAM may be compatible with each other. What is the processor speed and screen size of the Mac that the 2-1GB modules would be taken out of? Thanks in advance for this information. 

Kilobyte Kid
GregoryW

Thanks for th response: It's a Mac 13". and the speed is 1067 MHz. also, its type DDR3, Manufacturer listed as 0x80CE

Kilobyte Kid
GregoryW

The  Mac  is 13". and the speed is 1067 MHz. also, its type DDR3, Manufacturer listed as 0x80CE. Is there an abbreviation for the 1067 MHz- I ask because I see if I remember correctly 1.06Mhz on a spec sheet for the dell.

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to GregoryW

Thanks! Yes, everything should work fine :smileyhappy:

Kilobyte Kid
DellAnderson

[ Edited ]

Sorry to ask what may seem like a dumb question, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right RAM.  I just purchased a second  Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 14", model 0578-N8U laptop.  According to CNET review, it came with stock Ram 1066 MHz / PC3-8500     

I upgraded my previous (identical model) laptop using an "other brand" of RAM, but wanted to try Crucial this time.   My 'other brand' RAM worked fine and was 

204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)

CL-7 1.5v

Amazon sells a Crucial kit that very closely matches this but is labeled "Mac":

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GB x 2) DDR3 1066 MT/s (PC3-8500) CL7 SODIMM 204-Pin Mac Memory CT2K4G3S1067M

No one on Amazon forum seems to know what the "Mac" label means and refers to your site which recommends for my machine a slower Cas Latency (CL11) and different PC3 number (12800 vs. 8500) with kit part number CT5311324 (which incidentally is not available on Amazon and costs about $20+ more on your site):

Crucial 8Gbt kit (4GB x2) DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-pin CT5311324

Since the Mac version is cheaper and more closely matches stock and known good upgrade specs (CL7 vs. CL11 and PC3-8500 vs PC-12800) , I am strongly tempted to give the 'Mac' ram a try, but I am not sure what is meant by 'Mac' or if there is some 'gotcha' with using Mac Ram in a Lenovo laptop!   It seems very strange to market something that is generic as  "Mac" specific.  

Thanks in advance!

[EDIT#2]

I am guessing that the model you approved in a previous post might work also in my system, even though the numbers are different.  What is the significance of the differences (e.g. PC3-12800 for example)

CT2CP51264BF160B

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-204-Pin-Notebook-CT2CP51264BF160B/dp/B005LDLVAO/ref=cm_cr_pr...   Incidentally, one reviewer claims that he received NON-Crucial Ram when ordering this item from Amazon, so I'm not sure what to think.

[EDIT]

Yes, I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit so can handle full 8GB (specs correspond to those you linked to in a previous post here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-75358

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to DellAnderson

Hi DellAnderson,

Thank you for contacting us today. The Mac memory that you are looking at will work with your system. It's a premium type of memory that we recommend for Mac systems, but it should work in your system with no issues. Mac systems can be picky with RAM. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Kilobyte Kid
DellAnderson

Thank you, Crucial_YogiH. That is what I was hoping to hear! ;-)
Our Latest Posts