Compatibility issue with Mac Mini (Late 2012) 16GB upgrade

Kilobyte Kid

Compatibility issue with Mac Mini (Late 2012) 16GB upgrade

Hi there,

I ordered a 16GB upgrade for my Mac Mini (Late 2012 model) and recieved 2x 8GB modules, part number CT3650283. However, when I installed the RAM my Mac just beeped 3 times and wouldn't boot. I reinstalled my old RAM (2x2GB) and my Mac boots fine.

I contacted your chat support line on Friday 4th December and was told that the issue may be to do with the "wrong chip density" and that I should "change settings in my bios" to accept low/high density. When i asked how this can be done on a Mac I was told I'd have to contact Apple.

I then re-ran the compatibility checker on my Mac and it is still suggesting the same upgrade, part no. CT3650283, with no mention of alternatve chip densities anywhere - I have shared my scan results at http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/scanview/20DD733F31D926C3 

Can anyone please tell me if a) there is a way of getting the RAM I bought to work on my Mac Mini or b) if there is an alternative Crucial upgrade which will work?

Thanks

TonyB

6 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Compatibility issue with Mac Mini (Late 2012) 16GB upgrade

Hi tonyb62,

I am sorry for the issues that you have experienced with this RAM. It does appear that you have purchased a compatible upgrade for your system. The beeping is typically a sign of the memory not being installed correctly or possibly one defective memory module.

I would recommend trying the  new memory one at a time with nothing in the second slot. This will help us determine if it is just one defective memory module.

If neither work on their own, clear the NVRAM to reset the Mac.

NVRAM (or PRAM in older Macs) stores settings about your Mac. If you are experiencing issues after a change in memory or hardware, resetting the NVRAM can resolve these.

To reset it, just follow these steps from the Apple Knowledge Base:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

If both work on their own, this points to an installation issue. I would recommend trying both again and double check that top module is fully seated

Let us know how you get on with the above steps so we can provide further support.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi, thanks for getting back to me

I had previously tried, as suggested by your live chat olleague, installing the modules individually but I still got the "3 beeps" error with either module on its own.

I also tried "zapping the PRAM/NVRAM" as per your suggestion but again this had no effect.

I then tried mixing the 8GB Crucial modules with the existing 2GB modules and discovered that with a 2GB module in the lower slot and 8GB in the upper slot (as viewed when looking into the Mac upside down with the bottom cove removed) my Mac would boot, but with either 8GB in the lower slot and a 2GB module in the upper slot, it would boot. I tried the same with a 4GB module I borrowed and got the same result.

I am currently working with this 12GB configuration, with one 8GB Crucial module in the upper slot, but it has crashed once already so it may not be a stable configuration.

I would appreciate any further suggestions you might have for fixing this problem on a more permanent basis

Kind regards

Tony

Kilobyte Kid

Further to my earlier post, it appears that whenever my Mac goes to sleep, then it starts repeating the 3 beeps again even with just the one 8GB module in place 

Community Manager

Hi tonyb62,

At this point I think it might best to contact our tech support department directly. We may need to try replacing the RAM. Our contact information can be found in my signature. I apologize for the inconvenience.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Hello, what was the ultimate solution to this issue?
I am encountering the exact same problem with a crucial 8GB module in the lower slot of my Mac mini...
Bit Baby

Hello, what was the ultimate solution to this issue?
I am encountering the exact same problem with a crucial 8GB module in the lower slot of my Mac mini...