Imac 3 To fusion drive BIG problem with crucial ram 2x8 gb modules

Kilobyte Kid

Imac 3 To fusion drive BIG problem with crucial ram 2x8 gb modules

hi, sorry first of all if i make mistake as im french , , i bought the new imac haswell with only 8 gb of apple ram, its the high end model 27 inches, i had no problem exepect some kernel panics sometimes, unitl my fusion drie itself completly messed up , cant repair the drive, the disk repair fonction was saying stuff like node 235 incorrect, Node 117 incorrect, canoot format it, cannot even install mavericks , or restore a time machine backup, when i put the crucial memory out, at least , no kernel panics , but the fusion drive was totally messed up, so i took the applecare, and today a apple guy came to my house, change the HDD, and he told me that he didnt think it was your memory that waused my fusion drive to not working at all.. but the fun part is, everything was okay the first two hours, then i decided to put your modules again, ( hard to put cos thre are very large compared to the apple one and they dont fit as nicely as the apple one do.. and guess what ??  same effect , node incorrect on fusion drive, since i got your memory my mac was reconizing it, 24 gb in total, but the suff that bugs me is that each time i do a hardware test by pressing command D on boot with your module i got a mesage saying, maybe there is a problem with the ram

reference code PPM002

additional reference code PPM003 PPM004 , so now i dont put your ram again in my mac, cos i think in reality even if its theorticly compatible with the newest Imac haswell , i maybe not.

so waht can i do ?? i bought this ram less than 2 month ago on your website... and by the way i can log in , i asked to change my password , but when i channge it, i have an error , so can somebody help me please. 

i desperate to find an answer, and be careful ppl who have 3 To fusion drive, cos in a snap my imac became a brick . 

please help me. 

Thanks.

Purchase Order Number: O-0UH1008595224972F

Order Number: 99742-005011

10 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Imac 3 To fusion drive BIG problem with crucial ram 2x8 gb modules

here is my pat number 

Qté :1 CT4951620
      Référence produit : CT2C8G3S160BMCEU
      Prix : €99.44 (H.T)
      Description : 16GB kit (8GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM  Upgrade for a Apple iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) System
      Total de ligne : €99.44 (H.T)

so do i have to ask to ask for an exchange with the new modules that have apppeared on the site ? please someone answer me , thanks. 

Community Manager

Hi Angealexiel,

I am sorry for the issues that you have been experiencing with your RAM. I would recommend checking to make sure that your system is up to date. To check if an update is available , click the Apple menu and select the menu for updates to the software. I would also recommend checking to see if the EFI firmware is up to date as well.

If the problem persists, it could be an issue with a damaged card. Please try each module individually one at a time. . This will allow you to isolate the module that is causing the issue.  Please contact us directly at 0805 10 29 63 or crucialsupportfr@micron.com if you still have issue. I am sorry for the inconvenience that this process has caused.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

iv'e called yesterday and , i crucial send me the basic thing via email like reset the VRAM, of course , when the man said , im gonna send you an email whith some stuff to do, i said, do not ask me to reset the VRAM/PRAM  i already done it several times, in fact each time i change my memeory i do it, and no efi problem my mac is the most recent one, and it is up to date, the efi programm said it up to date. so i will test individually those modules this week end, but the thing bugging me , is that apprently here, it mess with my fusion drive i dont know why  3Tb one. and another question U send me DDR3L modules , apple ask for PC12800 DDR2 modules, mabe that is why i have this issue,no ? your forum are filled with persons with recent imacs running haswell, and having problems, dont you assume a little too early your merory module were compatibe with the latest imac in the long term ? 

Kilobyte Kid

i received the instructions by mail, as i was intended , you asked to reset the VRAM/PRam wich i did many times, and check if the latest EFI update is installled, it is the case, i've just removed the apple memory and put one crucial module at a time, each one cos kernel panics, and one of them AGAIN messed up my fusion drive, cant repair the drive, cant format it, my imac is a brick again , isit have something to do with the fact that your dealing DDR3L memory instead of apple DDR3 memory ?? 

i tired cos now my imac is broken again, the person i got on the phone was really not nice , i hope monday when i will call i will have a more comprehensive person, whats the point in exchanging the module if these modules arent fully compatible with the newest imac with fusion drive ?? 

can i get a refund knwing that i bought these modules less than 2 month ago ?

i think the best way to go is to buy the apple memory even is its 400 euros for 32 Gb. 

hope you'll answer to my question .

and do you know why one of the memory module is messing up my fusion drive at this point ?

i said to the person on the phone to loo the crucial forum cos there is a ton of tpics about problem with your ram on these newest imacs.

im sure you assumed it was compatible before the release of the new imacs, and now ppl like me who bought it, are screwed because i have to phone to apple again and ask for a tedhnician to come home and change the hard drive, because even him cannot manage to format the fusion drive . because of YOUR MEMORY.

can i get a refund ? 

Community Manager

Hi Angealexiel,

First of all I am sorry for the problems you have had with this memory. 

I would like to ensure you that we do not have any underlining issue with our memory and new Mac systems.  We have been investigating this and we have a very low return rate for these parts.  I have posted on another thread regarding this to say that in most cases we have resolved the issue by exchanging the memory.

The memory itself should in no way damage or change the Hard Drive.  They are two completely separate parts of the system and adding memory should in no way damage or alter the drive.  In this case it does sound like a compatibility issue which may be resolved by exchanging for a different revision of memory.  We are more than happy to arrange an exchange or a refund for you.

To do this please contact our customer service team directly on the free phone French number which is 0805 102 963.

Once again I am sorry for the problems you have had with this memory upgrade. 

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

thnaks for your answer, i finally managed to repair and rebuild my fusion drive, thanks to terminal command, because the disk utility doesnt manage repartionning of the fusion drive yet. so i'm already happy to find a working imac aain, i ve tested both memory putting just one at a time, one is saying by the hardware test , that there is a problem with it, the other seems fine, but it makes kernel panic and messes my fusion drive, i dont know why, to me too, it seems strange that ram mess up my fusion drive. but its what i have seen .

i will call support for an exchange , and if the exchange doesnt work , ask or a return and a refund.

i will keep you posted if the new memeoery is working ^^

thansk again for your help.

Kilobyte Kid

i'm currently sending the ram back to crucial, but i have to admit that i have would prefer a refund cos i bought it the 25th of novembre, and i've called the french support morethan a week ago, that means i was eligible to a refund, but apprently its not the case , so i cross my fingers to have two new modules that are working, if the problem happen again, i will open a paypal dispute to get a refund , cos i'm sorry but i should have the right to get the refund seeing the date i phoned for the first time to the french support.

it's trange i admit, one RAM is seeing by apple hardware test wwith an issue PPM001 PPM0002 PPM003,, but the other one , is fine on the apple hardware test, but if i put this one in the mac , and do a repair of the fusion drive, it make it borke , i knwo about technology, and i agree with you that apprently there are nothing to do between ram and fusion drive wich mix ssd and HDD, but it reallly does that, and when i take the memory off, i can repair the drive, having to reformat it , and reinstalling all my mac backup.

strange but it's true.

Highlighted
Bit Baby

I am having this same problem, after moving 2x8GB of RAM from an iMac to an iMac retina earlier this year.

Did the exchanged modules resolve the problem for you?

Bit Baby

I seem to be having the same problem with 8x4GB Crucial RAM in a Late 2013 3.5 27" iMac. I've had it for about a year with no problem until rebooting recently.