Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Memory Leak Geek
Shortcutmethod

Late 2013 iMac randomly restarts itself once a day

I have a late 2013 iMac, 27inch inch, 3.5 ghz i7 intel haswell, fusion hard drive, with Macericks.
On cucial.com I ordered the recommended RAM, the 16gb, two sticks of 8, but two of them for a total of 32gb of RAM. Since installing, once a day the computer restarts itself randomly. When it comes back on there is a little box that says "your computer had to restart because of a problem" I ran the hardware test (by holding to d on the keyboard when the computer turns on) and it said no issues found. So far this random restarting has not happened since taking out the Crucial RAM and putting back in the Apple RAM. Any thoughts on what is happening? Thank you.
Memory Leak Geek
Shortcutmethod

Re: Late 2013 iMac randomly restarts itself once a day

in reply to Shortcutmethod

Update:  I have tried to put back in the Crucial RAM to see if it would restart again, and when I tried to turn on the computer, it would not turn on.  It will only turn on with the Apple RAm installed, so I think I just need to return my purchase from here.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Hi Shortcutmethod,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your system.

As this problem is only happening with the Crucial memory it does point to a faulty memory module.  The best way to check what memory module is faulty is to try them one at a time in the system.  If one allows the system to start without shutting down but the other one causes it to crash then we know one is faulty.

All our memory has a lifetime warranty so if there is a fault we are more than happy to arrange an exchange.  To do this just contact customer service directly using the link in my signature for your region.

If you need anything else at all please don't hesitate to ask and I would be more than happy to help.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Memory Leak Geek
sjcaulfield

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Hi there,

Unfortunately I am having exactly the same issue as above with exactly the same hardware. When I put the Apple memory in the iMac it works fine. When I put the Crucial memory in, the iMac crashes and restarts every hour or so. I am currently cycling through my four Crucial modules to determine if there is anyone on particular that is causung the issue or of it is happening with them all.

Stephen.

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to sjcaulfield

Hi sjcaulfield,

I am sorry that you are experiencing issues with your RAM, also. Please contact us directly when you narrow down the memory so that we may set up an replacement for you. Our contact information can be found in my signature. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

Memory Leak Geek
Shortcutmethod

Hi,

Long story short I have the computer turning on with all four Crucial RAM pieces in.  I will need to leave the computer on to see if it starts resetting again.

The Apple memory was working fine, so I used it in a combination of the four slots to see if one of the slots was not working.  The slots seem fine, so then I tested each of the four Crucial RAM pieces one by one, then two by two and so on, until I put all four in.  With the two days of using the Apple memory, the computer never restarted itself.  I will see if the restarting starts to happen again with the Crucial memory in.

Bit Baby
leeovery

Just to weigh in with my issues.

I have the EXACT same mac (late 2013, 27", fusion drive) and had upgraded the RAM to 4x8gb from Crucial.

This was last week. Since then I had repeated kernal panics.

I ordered more RAM from Crucial and installed that. Same EXACT problem.

So this morning I took my new iMac back to the Apple Store and they replacement it one-for-one.

Got home, set it all up, installed new Crucial RAM, and surprise surprise, it happened again. Repeated kernal panics.

The recommended memory is NOT compatible with the late-2013 fusion drive mac it seems. :smileysad:

The Apple supplied RAM is now installed and so far Ive been unable to trigger a kernal panic!

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to leeovery

Hi leeovery,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your memory.

So we can investigate it further we would need you to confirm a few more details.  Apple systems are very particular about what memory their system can support.  Can you confirm the part numbers listed on the memory modules?

They will be printed on the sticker on the side of the module and the part number will start with CT. 

It would also be great if you could try each memory module one at a time in the system.  This is the best way to check if you have a faulty memory module.  If you do have any faulty modules we can arrange an exchange for you no problem at all.  All you have to do is contact customer service for your area using the link in my signature.

Once again sorry for the problems you have had with this memory upgrade.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
Bit Baby
leeovery

Hi,

Pretty sure they arent defective. Ive had 2 seperate orders delivered as I assumed the first batch was defective, but the second order resulted in the same issues.

Ive also had a the iMac replaced by Apple, but the same issue with the Crucial memory in.

I expect if this is investigated properly with the same model iMac as what we all have, you will see the same results - pretty sure about that!

This is what I ordered: http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=7F347405A5CA7304

Part numbers: 

CT8G3S160BM.M16FDD

Lee

Memory Leak Geek
Shortcutmethod

in reply to leeovery

UPDATE:  RAM is NOT working!  The computer has restarted again since putting back in the crucial RAM.  How do I return it for my refund?

Our Latest Posts