MacBook Pro Late 2011 - RAM upgrade 4GB to 16 GB - High CPU temperature and crashes

Kilobyte Kid

MacBook Pro Late 2011 - RAM upgrade 4GB to 16 GB - High CPU temperature and crashes

Hi there,

I’m wondering if anyone on the forum can shed some light on the problematic issues that I've  been having with my late 2011 Macbook Pro ( Intel i7  2.2Ghz ). In summary, I have found that a 16GB RAM upgrade may be causing high CPU temperatures when compared to the original 4GB. I have also had a few system crashes which may have an association with the RAM upgrade, at the very least I’ve not had single crash prior to the upgrade.

Below is the sequence of evens I’ve encountered so far.

I recently upgraded my RAM from the factory 4GB to 16GB, for the first 3 weeks my machine seemed to be running well. The upgrade RAM type was selected using Curcial's system scanner. Last week I updated my OSX ( I am currently running Mavericks OSX 10.9.5), I was surprised to find that my computer would no longer start. Specifically, on restart the update progress bar would partially complete then the system would shut down.

Restarting in safe-mode, I ended up reformatting the HDD, reinstalling my OS, and restoring my drive from a Time Machine backup. The laptop would then start up fine.

However, I did notice that the machine was running quite hot.  Initially I thought this was due to the amount of work required to reinstall and restore my drive. However, high temperatures persisted. For comparison I reinstalled the 4GB RAM.

At base line operation (just turning on the machine without opening any additional applications) the CPU temperatures with the 4GB of RAM were between 38-40 C, with the 16GB the temperatures were between 64-66 C.  Moreover when running fairly standard applications (web browser, MSword, text editors, etc) with the 16GB RAM the CPU temperature can increase to 80-90 C, at which point the fans system is trying to cool at max rpm.  On occasion the system would crash; reporting kernel errors on restart. So the increase temperature is unnerving. Moreover, I am concerned that my processor is working too hard.

I’ve placed the old 4GB RAM back into my machine.  It is running well, no overheating and no kernel crashes.

If there is any insight or similar experiences I’d really appreciate a comment or a potential explanation.
At the moment I am considering returning the crucial RAM and getting a 8GB stick set.

Cheers

Matt

13 Replies
Community Manager

Re: MacBook Pro Late 2011 - RAM upgrade 4GB to 16 GB - High CPU temperature and crashes

Hi Matt,

I am sorry for the issues that you are experiencing with your RAM upgrade. Which memory upgrade did you install in your system? The memory modules will have a part number on the label which should read something like CT1024BF160B.16F, etc. Thanks in advance for this information it will help us determine the next step.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: MacBook Pro Late 2011 - RAM upgrade 4GB to 16 GB - High CPU temperature and crashes

Hi Yogi

The part number is: CT8G3S1339M.C16FER

Thanks for reply

Community Manager

Hi Koesmatt,

Thanks for providing this information. It does appear that that part is compatible with your system, so it doesn't appear to be an obvious compatibility issue. The next step wold be testing the memory to see if there is a memory module. To help determine if the memory is faulty, you can use the Apple Hardware Test or Diagnostics.

You can find specific details on how this works and how to run it at the following page of the Apple website:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

If this shows that there is a failure or if it doesn't, please give us a call or send us an email using the information for your region in my signature. We would be happy to look into this further or exchange the memory module if necessary.

Please let us know how you get on with this and if we can offer any additional assistance then do not hesitate to contact us.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I am worried I am having the exact same problem with my Early 2011 MacBook Pro. I purchased an SSD from Crucial as well as two 8GB RAM sticks, which upgraded my RAM from a total of 4 GB to a total of 16 GB. I swapped the drive and RAM when I received my order in late February. Now, just a couple of weeks later, I am experiencing issues. The fan seems to be running a lot more often, and yesterday my MacBook went haywire. I took some video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQrcv0iU3Ic

I ran the apple hardware test (the basic one, not the extended one) and it did not find any issues.

These are the things I purchased: 

CT5419725 CT512MX100SSD1.PK01 UPGRADE FOR A APPLE MACBOOK PRO (13-INCH, EARLY 2011) SYSTEM

and

CT3373717 CT2K8G3S1339M.000 UPGRADE FOR A APPLE MACBOOK PRO (13-INCH, EARLY 2011) SYSTEM

If the 2011 MacBooks can't handle 16GB of RAM, I'd like to return it and do 8 instead. Before I purchased the RAM, I did some reading online, and it seemed that 16GB would be OK, but now I'm not so sure.

kate

Community Manager

Hi Kate,

I am sorry for the issues that you are experiencing with the RAM in your system. I would recommend contacting us directly at 1-800-336-8915 so we can help you troubleshoot directly and set up a return if necessary. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Do you take calls in the evenings or on weekends? I work during business hours. I'm still having this problem intermittently. Do you think the RAM could be defective?

Community Manager

Hi signofthetimes,

Where are you located? We are open some evening hours, but it depends on your location. We do have a 24 hour response rate for emails (Monday-Saturday for emails). Our tech support is pretty great at providing all the information they can and will also set up a return over email. Our contact info can be found in my signature. 

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I am in Connecticut. I am continuing to have problems. Do you have weekend hours? Sundays? 

One of the things I noticed is that when my computer crashes, the wifi drop-down menu changes from it's usual look (with the wifi on/off at the top, the list of networks in the middle, and "Join other network..." etc. at the bottom) to something that has "kAirPortTurnOffKey" at the top and "kAirPortOtherKey," "kAirPortCreateNetworkKey," and "kAirPortOpenNetworkPreferences" at the bottom. What the heck is going on? Is this associated with my SSD or RAM upgrade? 

My fan also goes on a lot, which never used to happen. This was a very expensive upgrade and it's been a nightmare so far.

kairport-menu.jpg

Community Manager

That is terrible that you are experiencing so many issues. We only have weekend chat and email hours on Saturday. Our chat time runs from 10 am (Eastern) to 4 PM. You may always email us if that is more convenient. We would be happy to help you out over email. You may email our tech support department directly at crucsupport@micron.com. 

Want to be a Super User?